The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The First Battalion

PhilipH

If a soldier was posted to his unit's first battalion did he have to be enlisted as a regular soldier? My assumption is that this would have been a requirement in the early days but that such a stipulation would have been watered down over time.

Does anyone have any info on this subject?

Regards

Philip

I'll kick you of here, Philip, although I'm sure the experts will be along soon! At the start of the Great War, regular battalions (i.e. usually 1st and 2nd) were not always up to war strength. Their strength was made up by reservists, and I believe in a very few cases, by territorials.

Philip.

Your assumption would seem to be a fair one, I have service papers of men local to where I live who were WW1 enlistments, a mixture of recalled reservists, volunteers and conscripts, who served in Ist Battalions, mostly our former local Buffs, East Kent Regiment.

Following the early battles which the "old soldiers" of the BEF fought in and the casualties they suffered, out of necessity the senior 1st battalions losses were filled by new men, hope this is of help.

David.

Pals

Don't forget Territorial Regts. Most of the London Bns were soley territorial but still managed to have 3 Bns. For sake of arguement QVR (9th Bn Londons) had 1/9th Bn in France by early Nov 1914, 2/9th in France by Feb 1917 whilst the 3/9th was a training Bn and never left the UK - of course drafts from the 3/9th were used to replenish the 2 fighting Bns.

Regards

Andy

Of 1RWF, almost half were Special Reservists [ie 3rd battalion] from word go, and many more were recalled regular reservists. No TF early in war, all needed to complete TF units. No reason to suppose RWF at all unusual.

Not Forgetting the Territorials who had no Parent County Regiment:their 1st Battalion,[1/1st]as their Other Battalions were Territorial Not Regular[Hertfordshire;Cambridgeshire;Brecknockshire;Monmouthshire;Herefordshire,

London Rgts;]

Can't speak for other Regiments but the 1st Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers took their first draft of volunteers as early as December 1914. My Great Uncle was one of these volunteers sent to France less than four months after joining the army.

Philip.

Since this morning we have a power cut which has left me unable to play on the computer, but it did give me the chance to look through books etc, it gave the chance to look through various WW1 army service papers, three of the men had been TF members all had been wounded all in 1916, on return to duty all were posted to 1st Battalions.

David.

Guest mavesyn

My grandfather, Rifleman Z1755 and great uncle, Rifleman Z1753 both joined up, with the Rifle Brigade(The Prince Consort's Own) on the same day same place. My grandfather went straight into the 1st Battalion, Great uncle straight into the 10th battalion.

Mike Price

Staffordshire