The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MCG casualty

DCLI

My Great Uncle, Frank Johnson of the MGC was killed in France in 1918. he is buried in Boyelles, France.

Can anyone let me have more details about him?

Best regards

Anthony Farrar

Hi Anthony

Welcome to the Forum

CWGC

Private 19592 Frank Edward Johnson

52nd Battalion MGC

Died 02/09/1918

Son of Mrs Mary Johnson of "Shenstone View", 14, Melbourne Road, Halesowen, Birmingham

Enlisted 02/09/1914

Grave II. G. 9

Boyelles Communal Cemetery Extension

SDGW

19592 Private Frank Johnson

Died of Wounds, France & Flanders 02/09/1918

Born Langley, Worcs

Enlisted Worcester

Residence Halesowen

Formerly 17969 Worcestershire Regiment

Steve

Name: JOHNSON, FRANK EDWARD

Initials: F E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps (Inf)

Unit Text: 52nd Bn.

Date of Death: 02/09/1918

Service No: 19592

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Mary Johnson, of "Shenstone View," 14, Melbourne Road, Halesowen, Birmingham. Enlisted 2nd Sept., 1914.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. G. 9.

Cemetery: BOYELLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Evening all.

Interesting thing,is the fact that he joined up on the 2nd of September,1914.

He had been around for a while,by the time he was KIA in 1918.

Doesn't always follow,but the 52nd Battalion,could have been the MGC battalion of the 52nd Division.

New one on me,but then i am only a beginner.

Check out the long trail,on Chris's mother site.

Had a quick look at the CWGC search site,when i saw your posting,and was surprised when i saw that all of the F Johnsons,MGC,were KIA in 1918.

The strange thing,was that nearly all of them had old,MGC,Company numbers,except F.E.

May make life a little easier Anthony,having a battalion to research.

No expert,but the battalions didn't come into being,until February/March,of 1918,i believe.

MGC research,is a difficult thing,but you are in the right place.

Good hunting,and welcome to the Forum.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Hi

Further to my earlier post, you will find that his Medal Index Card is available on-line. It is easy to find just go to the site, type in his name or either of his regimental numbers and he will appear. Once you have paid your £3:50 you will then have some more details about him in your hands. Given his early enlistment it should have the date he entered a Theatre of War and this may help identify which Battalion of the Worcs Regt he served in. I have a medal to an MGC man with the service number of 19604, just 12 different from Pte Johnson. This man was also ex-Worcs and he entered France on 24/11/1914 with the 2nd Battalion. They probably were transferred to the MGC on the same day. Ian Bowbrick may be able to help with this. If you do decided to download his mic, perhaps you could let us know what information there is on it.

Steve

Well, it does usually follow that the MGC Bn = Divisional Machine Gun Battalion. This 52 Bn MGC is the 52nd Division's MG BN.

The exceptions were the battalions originally named B to H Bns, and latterly numbered 101 to 106 Bns MGC formed from dismounted Yeomanry in April 1918 and intended as 'Army Troops'. (G & H, or 105 & 106 Bns, were never actually formed). There were also 200-205 Bns, the first formed late 18 for service in France and went to Russia reorganised, and 201, which went to Russia, 202-205 were formed for service in India but never rose above cadre formations.

Also, 23-26 Bns were never formed; and 43-45 Bns were 'dispersed' in India.

If it's an MGC Bn, with a number 75 or lower, it's a Divisional MG Bn as a general rule.

52 Bn formed on 28 Apr 18 from the former 155, 156, 157 & 211 Coys; served Egypt, Palestine and France.

Cheers,Staffs.

I had never heard of the 52nd Division,before this post.

211th Company,is not far off of my Great-grandads,214th Company MGC,later,D Company,58th Battalion,MGC.

He was KIA,in late April,1918.

Think his battalion was formed in late February,early March,hence the reason his record shows a Battalion number,rather than a company number,because he was killed in action,long after the Batttalion was formed.

May have only been a few weeks,but that is long enough,during WW1.

All the best.

Simon.

Simon,

Indeed, 58 Bn was formed on 2 Mar 18 - it comprised 198, 206, 214 & 215 Coys (I'd have thought that 214 would have become 'C' Coy, but happy to accept evidence otherwise!). Only served in F&F.

Phil