The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/6th South Staffordshires Regiment

Guest perkins

Guest perkins

I have been trying to locate any histroy I can regarding my grandfathers miliary service during WW1

PTE F.G.Smith 4134 (or 260139) South Staffordshire Regiment

I have tried the Regimental Museum, PRO and Scots guards (He re-enlisted after WW1), but with out some idea of the ?company? he served under, I am somewhat struggling.

I note that on his attestation papers for the Scots Guards his list of previous service is "26139 pte South Staffordshire Regt ??????embodied 26-5-19 also served 7th London regt.100th provl Bath and Cambridge regt service 4 22/365"

My mother recalls him saying that he and a younger lad were the only survivors from an action, in which he "took sanctuary in a church", which saw him wounded and returned to England.

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Andy

Andy

Welcome to the forum.

My great Grandfather served with 2/6th South Staffordshire Rgt, I have the history of South Staffordshire Rgt amongst other information on the regiment.

My grandfather was disembodied (discharged) 21/5/19.

The 2/6th South Staffords landed in France 26/2/17 as part of the 59th Division.

On 9th May 1918 the 2/6th was disbanded sending 18 officers and 746 men to different regiments,my Great Grandad was transferred to the 2nd Btn S Staffs.

I will look at information I have to see if I can help.

Regards Doug

Guest perkins

Doug

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Whilst looking around the form I note that you had placed a request in the Western front section regarding the trench map.

Could it be possible that my Grandfather was also one of the survivors that you mentioned?

I must admit to a certain excitement to discover another person searching for the same info as me.

How did you get the precise information regarding the count of survivors, have you got a list?

Please excuse my excited rambles but my search has moved more in the last two days than in two years.

Look forward to any further light you can shed and if I can help in any way then please let me know.

Regards

Andy

Andy, have a read of the "Grandads War" section on the Long, Long Trail. (Link top left of this page). You'll find out how to research your soldier.

Andy

I have the history of the 6th Btn South Staffords (I have lent it to my dad to read) and The History of the South Staffordshire Rgt I will be able to give you some more idea of where in France the Btn served.

Let me know what you specifically would like to know.

Regards Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Guest perkins

Doug

Sorry for not responding eariler, but my work takes me overseas regularly.

My name aim is to find in which company/unit my Grandfather served, as this will then allow me to tie up all the over bits of info I have.

I noted the response from Cris Baker and intend to vist once again ! the PRO to see if the medal roll will give me any clues.

As my Grandfathers full name was Fredrick G Smith and he served as a private, I am sure you can imagine how many F Smiths served in the great war.

Regards

Andrew