The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

VCs of the First World War: The Sideshows

J Banning

I don’t have this book but am looking to buy it. Can some kind soul who has it please let me know the VC recipients that it covers? I am looking for one specifically for something I am working on and want to know if that is the book to get. I think it is but just want confirmation.

Many thanks

what are you looking for? perhaps the info is in one the books i have x

Mandy

I am after extra info on Hardy Falconer Parsons, 14th Glosters. I have a fair bit on him but always like Gliddon's VC books as they are very good at compiling all the info in one place. Thanks

I am after extra info on Hardy Falconer Parsons, 14th Glosters. I have a fair bit on him but always like Gliddon's VC books as they are very good at compiling all the info in one place. Thanks

I'm at work at the moment but I've got the book at home, and I'll check whether anyone else has come back to you when I get home. If they haven't, I'll see what there is on your man

Many thanks Paul. I only need to know if he is in the book as I am 95% sure I will be buying it anyway.

cheers

Jeremy

No sign of your man in 'Sideshows', I'm afraid. Where did he win his award?

Oh, what a shame. I thought he would have been in there. It was won at a site called The Knoll near Epehy - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_Falconer_Parsons and http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123572&st=0&p=1187172&hl=hardy%20falconer%20parsons&fromsearch=1entry1187172

I wonder what book he would be covered in then? Maybe in the 3rd Ypres book as it was around that time? Annoyingly, that is one I don't have (whereas I do have 1914, Western Front 1915, The Somme and Air VCs)

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Jeremy

He's in the Cambrai volume, which covers, inter alia, events in 1916 outside the Somme period, and 1917 outside Third Ypres, Arras amd Messines. I have a complete set of the VC volumes for ground warfare - I haven't gor the naval or air VC books - if you've other queries

Brilliant Paul - you have been a great help. If you ever need an Air VC look up or info from that book then please contact me.

All best,

Jeremy

Brilliant Paul - you have been a great help. If you ever need an Air VC look up or info from that book then please contact me.

All best,

Jeremy

No problem glad to be of help

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul - got the book this morning in the post and am well pleased with it. Tks for your help.

JB