The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Green Howard KIA (Great Uncle)

Barry S

Dear all,

My interest started just over a year ago with my grandfather’s Great War medals, I subsequently found more information on the family as my grandfather’s brother and their father, my great-grandfather all fought in the war, “Young Alec” (243361 Pte Alexander Cousins) my great uncle, was however killed.

Up until today we thought that he had died on the 28th March 1918 with the 5th Green Howards (Yorkshire Regiment) in or around Rosieres, (no known grave) ref war diaries.

Today though I received a news paper search showing his obituary, which appears to have been written by my great-grandmother and the date of death is given as 25th March 1918 this would have put him in a different area, Licourt, fighting alongside the Worcester’s and Northamptonshire Regiment.

Both SDGW and CWGC say 28th, who would be right? My great-grandmother must have had some communication stating 25th?

Would there be any point asking CWGC?

Barry.

Barry,

Yes it is worth speaking to the CWGC, (they sometimes get it wrong but then can take a while to fix it but will eventually!) also look through the forums and see if others can help, Also you might try the regimental museum. Hope this is of use.

Mandy

Barry,

I have looked through Green Howards in the Great War and read the relevant pages concerning the 5th battalion during the German Spring Offensive.

You are correct with the locations for the two dates and heavy fighting on the retreat took place on both days.

The 5th battalion lost 4 men killed on the 25th and 27 killed on the 28th.

I have come across quite a few discrepancies for dates of men dying listed on the CWGC site and what the regimental history says, two or three days difference not being uncommon.

I don't know if you are aware or not but Private Alexander Cousins name is remembered on Middlesbrough War Memorial.

Bob.

Thanks Mandy and Bob,

I will ask CWGC and Bob Yes I did know that Alec’s name was on the memorial outside of Albert Park, I was born in Parkside Maternity Hospital and now reside in Billingham just over the river, I take it that you are a local then Bob?

Doing the research brings things home a little, “Young Alec” was just that! 1901 census has him at 9 months old making him 17 years old! I just couldn’t imagine it? Would I have been able to cope in a situation like that? We really do owe a great debt to the lads that fought and died for their country in both World Wars.

Did you look closely at the soldiers died 28th quite a number of NCO’s an MM winner and one Lieutenant Colonel DSO. And on the 25th “B” company fought to the last and was over run.

Barry

Barry

Contact CWGC on casualtyenq@cwgc.org and ask if there has been a clerical error. If there has they will correct it immediately although it will not show up on the web site until the next update.

However, it is also very likely that the newspaper got it wrong.

If it is not a clerical error, CWGC will need documentary proof of the date before any change can be made - newspaper stories/obits are never taken as evidence due to their high error content. In this case you will need to obtain his death certificate and see which date it gives.

If I can help, email me off-Forum.

Barry,

Yes I'm local to the Boro, lived in Normanby all my life, wife's from Billingham.

Great interest in the Green Howards and currently researching the officers died.

Best of luck with your search for info, keep us posted.

Bob.

Dear All,

After some excellent help and very good advice, thanks Terry, I've made an application to the GRO for Alec's death certificate, fingers crossed it will clear things up.

I, in my ignorance, didn't realise that death certificates existed for those KIA overseas.

Will let you know the result.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

My great-uncles death certificate arrived in the post Friday and the date of death on the certificate was the 28th March 1918 and not the 25th as per his obituary that was discovered in the local paper of 1918.

However his age was stated as 21 which is incorrect, 1901 census has him at 9 months making him 17 and my great-grandfathers M.S.M. paperwork has his birth date as 26/09/1898 making him 19 years.

Thanks to one and all.

Barry.