The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

pals battalion books

mick benton

hello everyone, i am doing research for my dissertation on the hull pals using david biltons book. i now want to compare the number of replacements and where they came from for a differant set of chums battalions. does any of the pen & sword pals books give lists of dates of deaths of soldiers and thier regimental numbers so that i can do this comparison? if not has anyone got any ideas how i can do this. many thanks

mick benton

Take a look at the Leeds Pals book by Laurie Milner. I assume that you have looked at the 1937 history of the Hull Commercials.

You might find references to groups of replacements in narratives, especially when units were disbanded or merged from 1917 onwards. Otherwise some war diaries might help you.

Keith

All I have in 'Swansea Pals' is a list of the original batch of about 1200 men who 'sailed for France' in 1915. This is a facsimile of an original list that was compiled at the time. Obviously other men joined later as replacements etc. and many - but not all - of those are listed under the Nominal Roll part of my website. I've picked up the extra names from those killed in action or where family members have provided me with info etc. and many of these are mentioned in the text of the book, usually with a date of death - though its not 'everyone' who died or got killed that gets a mention.

I think to get a better idea of the number of replacements etc. you would have to look at the medal index cards at the National Archives for the Welsh Regiment (in my case) and try and determine which of them went to the 14th Welsh (again, in my case).

For those killed in action or died/died of wounds you'd best look at the Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) CD as you can search for e.g. 14th Welsh losses between two dates to get a list (most records will have a place of birth and enlistment). This will obviously include men who went out with the battalion on 'day one' for that battalion and were killed, as well as those who joined later and were killed etc. Note that the SDGW access provided as part of an Ancestry subscription does not allow for this type of search - you need the CD (available for free use at many public libraries).

Bernard

Hi Mick.

Original enlistments into a 'local' or 'Pals' battalion are most likely to be found in the local press.

As regards 'drafts' or 'replacements,' you will have to look how a regiment (local or 'Pals' raised) has, after major actions on the Western Front, 'lost' it's 'regional identity.' Example, 1st July 1916.

Good luck.

Chris.

Take a look at the Leeds Pals book by Laurie Milner. I assume that you have looked at the 1937 history of the Hull Commercials.

You might find references to groups of replacements in narratives, especially when units were disbanded or merged from 1917 onwards. Otherwise some war diaries might help you.

Keith

thanks for replying, yes i have looked at the 1937 book and it does mention replacements which tally with the records.

mick

All I have in 'Swansea Pals' is a list of the original batch of about 1200 men who 'sailed for France' in 1915. This is a facsimile of an original list that was compiled at the time. Obviously other men joined later as replacements etc. and many - but not all - of those are listed under the Nominal Roll part of my website. I've picked up the extra names from those killed in action or where family members have provided me with info etc. and many of these are mentioned in the text of the book, usually with a date of death - though its not 'everyone' who died or got killed that gets a mention.

I think to get a better idea of the number of replacements etc. you would have to look at the medal index cards at the National Archives for the Welsh Regiment (in my case) and try and determine which of them went to the 14th Welsh (again, in my case).

For those killed in action or died/died of wounds you'd best look at the Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) CD as you can search for e.g. 14th Welsh losses between two dates to get a list (most records will have a place of birth and enlistment). This will obviously include men who went out with the battalion on 'day one' for that battalion and were killed, as well as those who joined later and were killed etc. Note that the SDGW access provided as part of an Ancestry subscription does not allow for this type of search - you need the CD (available for free use at many public libraries).

Bernard

thankyou for your reply bernard