The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Training Batallion 14

Guest kasjog

Guest kasjog

Help required please.

Herbert Otho Hamilton, of Cromer, Norfolk enlisted in the 12th (Service) Battalion of The Northumberland Fusiliers, being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in August 1914 and promoted to Lieutenant in February 1915.

He married in Berkhampstead, aged 23, around January - March 1915.

My question is would he have been training in Berkhampstead?

The 'Long, Long Trail' shows that an Officer Training Battalion Number 14 was located at Berkhampstead.

If he was there would he have been there from August 1914 until crossing to France in September 1915?

Richard Langtree

Hello Richard.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I have in the short time I have been on it.

Sorry I cannot give you a positive answer to your question, but it did occur to me that I have several birth, marriage and death certificates that are of WW1 men, on the marriage certificates of those that were in the forces at the time they all show the place of residence as where they were stationed as opposed to there home address.

As you give a date span on your question it seemed logical that you did not have a copy of the relevant marriage certificate, that being the case if those that I have was in fact the norm, it would seem that if you got no answer to the question posed via the forum, purchase of a FULL copy of the marriage certificate would answer your question.

David.

Guest kasjog

David

Thank you for your reply. You are quite right, I do not have the marriage certificate. I had only just found marriage details on 1837online.com. A really useful website.