The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Book - WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

(nzef)

Hello All.

I have read the rules regarding posting information on a new book. I believe my post does not contravene any of these.

After nearly two years of work I have finally completed the first volume of a series of books regarding New Zealand casualties of the Great War.

Entitled "WE WILL REMEMBER THEM", this volume deals with Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany and lists every casualty by cemetery/memorial. The information for each casualty can differ but in most cases the text is formatted as follows:

Surname, rank, First Name(s), Service Number, Unit, Cause of death, Age at death, Family information and either location of Headstone within cemetery or location of name on memorial.[

It also contains an alphabetical index by surname. It is in A4 format and contains 273 pages (including Index).

To assist those who may visit, the GPS details of every cemetery/memorial is also included. As is a file, that can be loaded into Google Earth which pinpoints all the locations. This has also been turned into a POI (Point of interest) file for those people who have a Garmin or TomTom GPS device. I can not stress how much time and stress this has saved me in my various trips. Plotting the locations and checking for correctness took nearly six months alone.

Also included is a FREE CD with over 3000 photos. These are non-professional photos which is why I include it for free. Every single headstone & name on memorial has been photographed as well as other points of interest and shots of the surrounding area.

This book would not have been possible without the assistance of the CWGC who have been fully supportive. As such, every book sold will result in a donation, so they can continue their excellent work.

This is not a money making venture, and I do not expect to recoup anywhere near the money I have outlayed in travel, acommodation and time. It is my way of honouring the fallen whilst hopefully making it possible for those who can not travel to do the same. I find I use it whilst researching and have discovered a number of previously unknown connections as a result.

The finishing touches on CD are taking place as I type this, so I expect the Book & CD to be available within 3 weeks at the most.

If you are interested in obtaining a copy, please let me know. I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have, either via this post or via PM.

It will be available in New Zealand at $65nz within a few months but Forum members can purchase a copy directly from me at $60nz (approx 36 euro or 30 pounds).

The second Volume (France) is nearing completion, and I expect it to be available before the end of the year. Due to the number of casualties in France, it will be split into two books, again with a free CD.

Regards

Grant

post-19785-032779100 1279790216.gif

Hello grant .

The book sounds great , wish you all the best inyour venture , Is there any chance it could be transcribed into braille at some time

would be even better .

all the best to you in your venture

cossak

Hello grant .

The book sounds great , wish you all the best inyour venture , Is there any chance it could be transcribed into braille at some time

would be even better .

all the best to you in your venture

cossak

Hi Cossak,

Interesting. I would not even know where to start. Feel free to send a private message with any details.

Regards

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am very pleased to announce that today I was able to make a donation of 180 euro via the PayPal donation button on the CWGC web site. A donation to the GWF was made a few weeks ago.

Thank you to everyone who purchased a copy. It was your interest that allowed this to happen.

Regards

Grant