The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Scots regiments

douglass

Hi all, im having trouble finding a relative who joined the Royal Scots regiment and year unknown. All I know is that Robert John Steel Royal Scots number was 4046 was this a territorial battalion?. he was transferred to the 5/1th battalion Cameronians again year unknown and killed at the Somme 29/10/1916. Anyone with information about anything greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Douglas

Hi there,

It could be a regular or a territorial number. And as at the start of the war the same numbers were duplicated in battalions of the same regiment it does not really help. However, it may be of use looking in the Soldiers Died as it may give his former regiment and battalion. I do not have it for the Cameronians I am afraid but I am sure someone on the forum has.

Although no expert on The Cameronians I would guess that the battalion in question is 1/5th and not 5/1st.

All the best with your research,

Tim Godden

Douglass.

Roberts entry on SDGW is :- Robert John Steel 202357 Pte 5th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), born Cockburnspath,Berwickshire, enlisted Edinburgh, resident Chirnside, Berwickshire.

Killed in action. 29/10/16. Formerly 4046 Royal Scotts. (No Battalion details).

David.

I have had a quick look in books, as whilst I am no expert on Scottish Regiments, or any thing else, but something clicked regarding Robert`s Battalion.

Tim was right regarding 1/5th Battalion it was a Territorial Force Battalion, on 29/5/16 it merged with the 1/6th Battalion and became the 5/6th Battalion (T.F.).

It was just a thought in view of same that depending on where you got your information from, ie damaged records, perhaps the number should read 5/6th & not 5/1st, just a thought.

In case you don`t already know it would seem fairly certain that Robert lost his life during an attack on a frontal attack on Hazy & Boritska trenches by his Battalion near Guillemont on the Somme, and that he is commemorated on the Thiepval Monument.

Again I expect that you already know but his Battalion, at the time were 19th Brigade, 33rd Division.

David.

Just a thought.

It may be worth trying the Regt. Museum in Edinburgh as they have various rolls of names. With his number they may be able to find out the original Royal Scots battalion.

It could, of course, be that being an Edinburgh man he was conscripted, went for training with the 3rd Battalion Royal Scots and was then put out to a battalion that needed him.

But I would give the museum a whirl to see if they come up with anything.

All the best,

Tim

Or you could do it the more certain way and look him up in the medal rolls at the National Archives in Kew. However if his service with the Royals Scots had ended before he moved overseas, and he was already with the Cameronians at that time, the RS details will not appear. (Of course, this in itself is a clue).

In these early days of the war, the chances of his being a regular or new army recruit posted to a Territorial battalion were not high; it is more likely that he had been a Territorial with the Royal Scots.

And while you're in the medal rolls, look up his service papers too. That would - if found - be conclusive.

Many thanks for all who have replied to this post. Hopefully someday I can make the journey from up here in Edinburgh to Kew and find out a little more info.

again, many thanks

Douglas