The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Warwickshire Yeomanry charge at Huj

stu

Can anyone please tell me if a nominal roll exists of the Warwickshire Yeomanry who took part in this famous charge,I trying to establish if a Pte R A Searing was there.

Many thanks.

Stu.

• 1 month later...
Guest BeesleSR

I too am interested to know how involved the Warwickshire Yeomanry were in this charge. I have the impression they were present but I suspect they did not take part in the charge. How close to the 'action' were they? What was their role on that day?

Sean Beesley

This from the Marquess of Anglesey's account of the action at Huj:

'The Worcesters' medical officer remembered Wiggin giving the order to mount and calling out, "Now then boys, for the guns!" [real Boy's Own stuff]. The Worcesters led the way: Major MC Albright's 'A' Squadron of the Worcesters, followed by two troops of 'C' Squadron under Second-Lieutenant JW Edwards. Bringing up the rear was Captain R Valentine's 'B' Squadron of the Warwicks, followed by two troops of 'C' Squadron.'

Hope this is helpful.

Robert

I wondered where Huj was, found this map (from http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atl...las%20home.htm), can't help otherwise.

Regards

Richard

post-2-1091387913.jpg

The Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum has one of the guns captured at Huj and has wealth of information about individulas.

They can be contacted at:

The Courthouse

Jury St

Warwick

Tel 01926 492212

Terry Reeves

I have today searched Adderley`s History of the warks Yeomanry in the Great war and there is a roll for the charge. However pte searing is not mentioned, nor can I find his name in any of the other lists in the book