The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WORSLEY (ST. MARK) CHURCHYARD

GrahamC

Hi pals

Does anyone live near this churchyard and could get me a photo of the grave of:

2/Lt Evelyn Geoffrey LORD - M.G.C. - Grave: N.P.1215

Also - does anyone know anything about him - apart from usual sources (MIC, Censuses, etc)? It's just that he's on my local Memorial (Buxton, Derbyshire) and can't find out the link yet, as he seems to have been Manchester based.

:thumbsup: Many thanks for looking

Graham

• 1 year later...

Maybe in the "Record of service of solicitors and articled clerks" - has been digitised and freely available online

Could be that his widow moved to Buxton post war - fairly tidy sum in the will to set her up

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Many thanks for your replies - especially the photo - only just picked them up.

His widow might have moved here as you suggest - there was certainly a connection to the town as Lt Lord's sister, Dorothy, married Lt. Col Cyril Benton Johnson on 9 Sept. 1917 (see photo below). He returned to his command of 1/6 Sherwood Foresters and was killed in action less than 2 weeks later, on the 21st. in the Hill 70 sector.

Cheers and thanks again - as we've resurrected this topic - Lt Lord was Mentioned in Despatches, anyone with any info as to where and why would be a great help.

When I first posted this my website was at the 'L' of the Officers - I'm now to the 'L' in the list of Privates - getting there!

Graham

post-37838-0-68362700-1331568876.jpg