The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The World War One Data Book

geofffox

Dear Forum Members

I've briefly looked at the content pages of this book, 'The World War One Data Book', by John Ellis and Michael Cox, online and it seems to have quite a comprehensive list of order of battles. Could someone please tell me how detailed they are as I'm looking for a book that provides orbats down to regiment/battalion level.

Kind Regards

Geoff.

Dear Forum Members

I've briefly looked at the content pages of this book, 'The World War One Data Book', by John Ellis and Michael Cox, online and it seems to have quite a comprehensive list of order of battles. Could someone please tell me how detailed they are as I'm looking for a book that provides orbats down to regiment/battalion level.

Kind Regards

Geoff.

One point, if I may. Regiments as such do not figure in an order of battle. Division, brigade, battalion. These battalions drawn from various regiments. The Official History will generally give this information but it is not always tabulated in a standard fashion. Occasionally, one has to scratch around in the body of the text and keep pencil and notebook handy.

Many thanks to both of you for help with my query. It looks like I'll have to keep digging with regards to finding a book that gives an in depth order of battle of the Russian units that fought in the Rumanian Campaign 1916 - 1917. Incidentally, any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards

Geoff.

I am simply guessing of course but I suspect you will need to read Russian or Roumanian and have access to their archives. My experience of Official Histories is limited to British, German and French. They tend to give exhaustive detail of their own forces and very useful detail of the enemy directly engaged in an action. We have a forum member named Connaught Ranger with knowledge of Transylvania. He may be able to help.