The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where to start researching Italian soldier

egbert

I am asking on behalf of an Italian colleague, who wants to start researching his Italian Grandfather, who fought at the Italin-Austrian front between Lake Garda and Piave River all war long. Does anybody has any idea where to start digging. Are there any national Italian archives , do pals know of useful Italian Great War sites, links etc?

Appreciate all support!

I am asking on behalf of an Italian colleague, who wants to start researching his Italian Grandfather, who fought at the Italin-Austrian front between Lake Garda and Piave River all war long. Does anybody has any idea where to start digging. Are there any national Italian archives , do pals know of useful Italian Great War sites, links etc?

Appreciate all support!

Egbert

It can be done, I have done it for several members of my own family who returned to Italy from England during WW1.

Try a search of the forum using the word "foglio".

Beppo Sapone

Beppo,

I followed you advise, but i found strange stuff, not related to WW1 :blink:

My colleague is Italian, so he can read Italian language sites as well! Do you have more hints?

C'mon pals, don't be so shy -I told my friend that everything is possible in this forum. So please wake up and advise!!!

Beppo,

I followed you advise, but i found strange stuff, not related to WW1 :blink:

My colleague is Italian, so he can read Italian language sites as well! Do you have more hints?

C'mon pals, don't be so shy -I told my friend that everything is possible in this forum. So please wake up and advise!!!

Egbert

When I said search for the word "Foglio" I meant search within the "Baker Pals" forum. Click the longer ago than 3 months option.

A "Foglio" was the term given to an Italian soldiers service sheet, and those from WW1 are available. Not easy to obtain, but available.

I will try and post a link to thie "Foglio" thread below here.

http://65.54.187.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=...m%2findex%2ephp

thanx Beppo, your link doesn't work , but I followed your search pattern= got it! I think that helps. My colleague is an Italian LtCol stationed here in Huntsville, USA. Since we often go TDY to Rome - that helps= XX Septembre is the place we always go for= Italian MoD! :)