The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Edward Stephenson

Guest paulg.

Guest paulg.

I was adopted and trying to trace my Fathers past particularly his army record

I know he served in the 2nd world war and had a shrapnel wound to his throat

He died of cancer aged 35 in 1955 I have his birth and death certificates .

He was a birmingham man I have a photo of him in his uniform all I can see is 1 stripe on the shoulder.

I have contacted the army records centre in glasgow but they could not help without the name of his regiment , His father Who had the same name George Edward Stephenson served in world war 1 , from my Fathers birth certificate I know my grandfather served in the royal army service corps as a despatch rider .if any anybody can give some help from the attached photo i would be grateful

I have tried the royal warwickshire regiments website hoping he had served with them and tried a search to no avail .

Hello Paul, welcome to the forum and good luck.

I've removed your attachment - it wasn't the photo I was expecting but an email that you had received from the 1901 Census website. Try it again.

As far as finding more about your grandfathers service is concerned, it seems you already have a major clue. He was in the Army Service Corps. That was the branch of the army concerned primarily with transport. You can find details of the ASC on the Long, Long Trail website. (Link top left of this page). However, the ASC was an enormous organisation and without knowing his ASC Company you won't get much further.

So, go to the LLT and click on "Grandad's war". It will tell you how to go about researching him.