The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

An Uncle Found

ianw

I recently visited a cousin. As usual, the conversation touched on the Great War (I am sure members know this happening only too well !) and my cousin mentioned a "lost" uncle "buried on the Somme" . Briefest of research tracked down Alfred James Othen killed at Frezenberg with 1st Hampshires on 13.05.15 and commemorated on the Menin Gate.

As often seems to be the case, the "coincidence factory" put Alfred in very close proximity in May 1915 to another family member who was in the trenches in the same sector.

A visit is now planned to Ypres this year to pay our respects to our 2 family members on the Menin Gate , with 4 enthusiastic Western Front newbies guided by yours truly.

Hi Ian, "no longer lost, he is found"! This warms my heart. cheers Shelley:D

Thanks Shelley. We now know he died near Canada Farm so will be able to get within a few hundred yards of where he was lost, very much looking forward to the visit.

Hi Jacky. When my family group come over we will hope to see you at the Gate. There will be 2 more ladies for you to kiss !

Ian, your luck has changed because shucky beans are headed your way, when they are actually consumed your sex life will change for the better also! :lol:

Paul - for pete's sake don't send Jacky any of those aphrodisiac beans ! They'll be safe with me though .

Martin - yes, I can see the smile on the old rogue's face even now at the thought of new ladies for another of his charm offensives , spearheaded by his multiple launched Belgian kisses , of course !

Jacky

Can i have number one for the 11th November please?

Mandy

Ian,

you getting a little jealous???????

Mandy