The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

14th Battalion. Northumberland Fusiliers

Guest Northumberland

Guest Northumberland

Am seeking information about where and when the 14th were please from September 1914 onwards?

Family research has un-earthed a box of old postcards, a few of which are to, or from, my grandfather Charles Gordon; these establish without doubt that he was in the 14th Battalion Northumberland Fusilers which was founded in Newcastle upon Tyne September 1914; this ties in with his marriage in that month specifically arranged just before he went off to join the 14th.

One card is from Grandad to Grandma from Sheffield in 6 Feb 1915. ( Hillsborough barracks perhaps?)

A card written in French to grandpa addressed to the Norhumberland Fusiliers France from a Gabriel/Gabrielle from Armentieres dated 21st May ( and looks like 1915) but some records indicate they didn't go to france until September 1915 . Could some units have travelled earlier?

A card addressed to the expeditionary force in France April 8th, looks like 1916….. from friend David Adams ... a sailor perhaps at the time; later Sheriff 1922 and then Lord Mayor of Newcastle upon Tyne 1930) in Stockholm . saying he, the friend is on his way to Russia in the next few days  "I hope all is well with you and the other Tyneside lads"

Card posted from Long Eaton from Bernard P Dew to my Grandmother advising her that Charles is near Albert in the Somme valley below Arras  dated 6 May, could be 1915 or 16 . Bernard according to his medals record was also in the 14th.

I see elsewhere on "Long Trails' there is some information about the 14th including two of only three known photos ( according to a comment in a local newapser from the Fusiliers museum in Alnwick)of the 14th, so any further information anyone has about the 14th ( I have written to the Northumberland Fusiliers Museum for some) would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Charles

Charles

My great uncle James McSloy served with the 14th, from the beginning until his death from wounds in January 1916. I have a copy of their war diary. Will fish it out and post the main movements on here, later today.

The battalion arrived in France just in time for the batle of Loos in September 1915. The first job for many of the men was burial duty.