The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sligo Men in the Great War 1914-1918

archangel9

Hi,

I'm looking for a copy of this book but its out of print and no luck searching the net. Local libraries don't have it but I would prefer to buy it anyway. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

If it is Sligo 1914-1921, a Chonicle of Conflict by Michael Farry I can help

Thanks Tom. I have Farry's ebook 2005 version.

Sligo Men in the Great War has a comprehensive, though not complete, list of the Sligo men who died in the Great War. I have the list of names but I'd also like to get hold of the book .

John

I've ever seen it. But will keep an eye out for it for you.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi,

I'm looking for a copy of this book but its out of print and no luck searching the net. Local libraries don't have it but I would prefer to buy it anyway. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Copy available from Dublin Bookbrowsers on abebooks.com for £105

Regards

Martin

I comment as one whose early childhood was spent in country Sligo " jeeeeezus, think of the pints you could buy for that"

Another one of the overpriced books is 'Who's Who in wold war one'. Crazy money.

Tom.

:)

It is a bit steep but isn't there still a tax on paper? When I was young, books, newspapers, magazines and such were always much more expensive in Ireland

There is no VAT on books in Rip Off Ireland.

Tom.

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin but I think I'll give that a miss! I think I might have found a library that has it.

John

• 1 year later...

was this book written by a school teacher called mcguinn. if so i seen the book in the library in cavan town a few years ago in their archive section. so maybe other libraries in ireland have it. i think the author is still alive and living in county cavan near enniskillen

Yes it was written by James McGuinn, a school teacher, from Tubbercurry I believe. Strange that this thread should emerge today, from the depths of the forum, as I had the book in my hands on Saturday for the first time.

John

Yes it was written by James McGuinn, a school teacher, from Tubbercurry I believe. Strange that this thread should emerge today, from the depths of the forum, as I had the book in my hands on Saturday for the first time.

John

If you have a spare moment could you tell me if William Frederick Wood of Lissadell (RDF) gets a mention - he was my grandfather?

He is not listed in the book. There are also letters from Sligo soldiers in it but none from Wood, sorry. There are two men named Francis W Wood-Martin and James I Wood-Martin in it and they are the only Woods mentioned in it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

He is not listed in the book. There are also letters from Sligo soldiers in it but none from Wood, sorry. There are two men named Francis W Wood-Martin and James I Wood-Martin in it and they are the only Woods mentioned in it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks for looking any way - I believe that the Wood-Martins were very distant cousins, the hyphenation occurring after a financially advantageous marriage.

Well done Tom. I wouldn't have been able to answer Centurion's question as it was a library copy I had in my hands on Saturday and it is a reference book only so I couldn't take it out.

John

Not a problem. I am always here to help.

Cheers.

Tom.

• 5 months later...

Any mention of Walsh's from Tullanaglug Co Sligo ? Doing my family tree and would be interested if any ancestors served & which regiment

It is a book and as such is not searchable by place.There are 6 Walsh's listed in the incomplete war dead list and they are, Francis and James from Tubbercurry, 2 Johns, Martin and Patrick from Sligo. They have less info on them than SDGW.

Tom.

• 1 year later...

My thanks to member Arnhem44. I now have a copy of the book and for a lot less than £105!

Cheers Brendan :thumbsup:

John

Glad you got the book, I am just back from a few days in Sligo. At Drumcliff visiting Yeats's grave I went into the church and at the end there was a memorial plaque

to WW1 locals. Murphy's law I had no pen/paper or camera at hand but there was 10 or so names and one from WW2.

Its on you tube Liam

John

Thanks John for that. I'm curious if any of the names on it have been investigated, there seem to be x3 Wests be interesting to know if they are related.