The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheap Books at "The Works"

Rob Connolly

Just ventured into Oldham, and the remainder bookshop The Works has some relevant volumes on sale:

WW1 at Sea: Victoria Carolan. £1.99 (normally £9.99)

Shots from the Front: Richard Homes. £5.99 (normally £20)

Also some of the "Forgotten Voices" volumes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen in the Wolverhampton branch - about half a dozen copies of "Rats Alley - trench names on the Western Front". They're on the table displays to the left of the door as you go in.

I checked our 'Works' here in Harrogate, they didn't have any. In fact, if it wasn't fiction, cookery or children's they didn;t have a lot in! ........................ wonders if it's about to be closed down :unsure:

No such luck down here. John

You could make a killing judging by the second hand prices.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

A killing - maybe not....

However, the copy I purchased has now been put on eBay - for what I paid for it, plus p&p.

Happy bidding, folks!

Just returned from West Wales where I bought "On the Front Line - True World War 1 Stories" p/back, rrp £8.99, reduced to £2.99. This was at The Works shop in Carmarthen.

First published 1930, revised and updated edition with foreword by Malcolm Brown. 60 accounts of action, each three to four pages long, by those who took part and wrote up their accounts, edited by CB Purdom.

Looks like an interesting addition.

D

I have just picked up the middle three of the quintet of WW1 books by Anne Perry from the Horsham branch of the Works for £5. Now I need to see where I can get the first one and the fifth one.

Wish my branch had rats Alley!!! No such luck. If any pal happens to see one in the branch mention I would be happy to pay the cost and post!

TT

Wish my branch had rats Alley!!! No such luck. If any pal happens to see one in the branch mention I would be happy to pay the cost and post!

Was only discussing this book a few days ago and how rare it is to see copies floating around...those that are carry a high price.

Regards

Arm

I have just picked up the middle three of the quintet of WW1 books by Anne Perry from the Horsham branch of the Works for £5. Now I need to see where I can get the first one and the fifth one.

63p on Abe.

Mick

For anyone in the South London area - the Lewisham branch has a pile of Richard Holmes "Shots From the Front" Harper Press 2008 for £4.99 [Hardback rrp £20] I shall be reading my copy this evening.

Dave Swarbrick

From the Solihull Branch - Paul Cobb's Fromelles 1916: £2.99!! Plenty of copies left.

Roger

TT

Hi Re:- Rats Alley try Waterstones online £25 Post free.

Regards Doug

• 3 months later...

Just picked up a copy of Jack Sheldon's "German Army at Passchendaele" for £4.99 at the Wolverhampton branch. 3 copies left.

Picked up a copy of Bloody Victory The Sacrifice On The Somme by William Philpott for 2.99 at the Bognor Regis branch today.

They also have copies of The Reluctant Tommy Ronald Skirth's Extraordinary Memoir of The First World War and Drawing Fire Private Len Smith both in hardback for £3.99.

Mandy

Just picked up a copy of "Drawing Fire" at my local Works Bookshop Southend-on-Sea) for £3.99.

Subtitled The diary of a Great war soldier and artist, look a good one!

Cliff

Re Rats Alley. Waterstones often list and accept orders for books that they cannot supply. I gave up on them long ago. You get a succession of emails about problems sourcing the problem, before eventually losing the will to live. This sometimes happens for volumes that are still available, if they are not listed by Waterstone's own supplier. My understanding was that Rats Alley has not been reprinted and is therefore only available used, unless you find that one bookshop that has had a copy for years. I keep trying to find that one.

Keith

Picked up today from my local branch Because You Died Poetry and Prose of The First World War and After by Vera Brittain and Edited by Mark Bostridge for £2.99.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of Bloody Victory The Sacrifice On The Somme by William Philpott for 2.99 at the Horsham branch today, about 3 copies left.

Picked up a copy of Bloody Victory The Sacrifice On The Somme by William Philpott for 2.99 at the Horsham branch today, about 3 copies left.

Likewise in Solihull.

Roger

Likewise Bloody Victory at Wrexham - one copy - guess who bought it?

LST_164

There seem to be a lot of Bill's Bloody Victory in the various remainder shops all over the place at the moment which is at least good news for the forumites who didn't snap it up earlier!

Pete

It must be quite galling for authors who have sweat blood to get their labours of love into print just to see them go for a fraction of the normal price.

Nigel