The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheap Books at "The Works"

Rob Connolly

I am absolutely certain that anyone as academically renowned, winsomely charming and ebulliantly self-confident as Bill Phillpott will be able to look after himself! But on a more serious note everyone is suffering from reduced sales at the moment! Apparently the market for non-fiction military books has never been worse.

Pete

It must be quite galling for authors who have sweat blood to get their labours of love into print just to see them go for a fraction of the normal price.

I suppose a sale is a sale, but depends on the deal, whether it was a flat fee or a percentage!

I once bought a (very expensive) book written by a professional colleague via a friend who worked at

his publishers at trade rate (this was way before t'internet and Amazon). Colleague very grumpy as

he got proportionately fewer royalties. Yet this, a £30 book twenty years ago (when, me lad, a thirty po

pound book were a thirty pound book, like, when thirty quid were thirty quid) was available for a fiver remaindered about a year later.

Generally authors get next to nothing from remaindered books! So a sale isn't a sale as far as they're concerned! I suppose most of us who have had books remaindered are pleased that people get the chance of a cheap 'taster' of their work and are hopefully more liklely to buy the next book! But if you have a real crash with lots remaindered then there won't be a next book!

Pete

But if you have a real crash with lots remaindered then there won't be a next book!

So get buying your copy of the "6th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, in the Great War".

The perfect accompaniment to Pete's "Gallipoli"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Got a paperback copy of Band of Brigands by Christy Campbell in the Works at Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, yesterday for £2.99, reduced from £8.99. There was only one other copy which was damaged.

Jim

So get buying your copy of the "6th Battalion, Manchester Regiment, in the Great War".

The perfect accompaniment to Pete's "Gallipoli"

All right, all right, John, I get the hint - just ordered your book and much looking forward to it!!!!

By the way saw stacks of poor old Philpotts Bloody Somme in the Works in Liverpool at about £1.99 or £2.99. I can unreservedly recommend this truly great author's works at that price!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Made one of my pilgrimages to Hay on Wye yesterday. Usually when I go round the many 2nd hand bookshops I'm having to weigh up how much of my budget I'm willing to spend on what. This time the problem was finding books that I'd want to buy and I came home under spent. The shelves devoted to WW1 seem to have shrunk and some were part empty.

There is a pile of Martin Gilbert's Somme: The Heroism and Horror of War In the Bolton branch for £2.99

Got mine at Wrexham branch. There were two left.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up Martin Gilberts Somme yesterday for £2.99 from the Wolverhampton branch they had about 10 left.

Dental

For those interested in fiction I picked up a paperback copy of Robert Radcliffes' Across the Blood-red Skies for £1.99 (previously £7.99) in the Norwich branch a couple of weeks ago.

Very few military books in the branch in Pontefract and I think even those are of the colouring in or join the dots variety.

Peter Parker's The Last Veteran going 3 for a £5 or £1.99 at Wrexham.

damned good read.

Not the Works, but Lovejoys in Soho, London has some fine reductions at the moment...picked up "Massacre On The Marne, history 2/5 West Yorks" and "The Road To St Julien" Letters of a stretcher bearer. Both £7.99 reduced from £20.00. Some Battleground Europe titles at £.99 plus other books ie RaY Westlakes book on Battalion in France between Aug 1914 and Jan 1915.

If in London worth a visit. Its at Cambridge Circus.

TT

Made one of my pilgrimages to Hay on Wye yesterday.

I echo that. I was there in Tuesday and did not spend a single penny on Great War stuff. Very poor fare. I blame websites like the GWF for whipping up a WW1 frenzy.

I echo that. I was there in Tuesday and did not spend a single penny on Great War stuff. Very poor fare. I blame websites like the GWF for whipping up a WW1 frenzy.

And whose fault might that be? :P

Adrian

(who, funnily enough, has seen an author doing a signing at The Works - it was Bill Pertwee (Warden Hodges))

Not the Works, but Lovejoys in Soho, London has some fine reductions at the moment...picked up "Massacre On The Marne, history 2/5 West Yorks" and "The Road To St Julien" Letters of a stretcher bearer. Both £7.99 reduced from £20.00. Some Battleground Europe titles at £.99 plus other books ie RaY Westlakes book on Battalion in France between Aug 1914 and Jan 1915.

If in London worth a visit. Its at Cambridge Circus.

TT

Just don't go downstairs if you are of a moral or nervous disposition; a vicar, a maiden aunt or in posession of a soiled coat intended to keep off the rain. :ph34r:

The ground floor back room of Henry Pordes - further down the Charing Cross Road towards Trafalgar Square - has fewere titles but comparable stock to Lovejoys. Yeah, OK, I get stuff from Lovejoys too. Upstairs. B)

Oops should have said 'unless you are in possession...'

My local 'Works' is closing down, second time it's opened and shut in the past couple of years. That'll leave W H Smiths as the only 'bookshop' in Grantham

Visited the Works in Lincoln, pretty much the same as my post 40, but they had a lovely selection of classy union jack paper plates and bowler hats for those royal wedding street parties.

We picked up a cracking book yesterday, 'On a Wing and a Prayer' by Joshua Levine - "A vivid, moving story of the men who fought the great War in the Air. Quite Superb." Max Arthur

We picked it up in York, down from £12.99 (paperback edition) to £2.99. I started to read it on the train home, seems good so far.

Blimey, Kim! You bought that many books at the conference, I'm surprised you have room left on your shelves :lol:

Roger