The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheap Books at "The Works"

Rob Connolly

Just don't go downstairs if you are of a moral or nervous disposition; a vicar, a maiden aunt or in posession of a soiled coat intended to keep off the rain. :ph34r:

The ground floor back room of Henry Pordes - further down the Charing Cross Road towards Trafalgar Square - has fewere titles but comparable stock to Lovejoys. Yeah, OK, I get stuff from Lovejoys too. Upstairs. B)

Oops should have said 'unless you are in possession...'

Tend to pop in the Lovejoys once a week as I work 10 minutes away. Once bumped into someone from work right outside who clearly didn't believe my First World War excuse!

May have to give Henry Pordes a look next time as well.

• 2 months later...

Picked up a copy of Bloody Victory The Sacrifice On The Somme by William Philpott now reduced to £1.99 at the Redcar Branch of the Works

They have Plenty of copy's left

They also have Martin Gilbert's ,Somme the Heroism and Horror of war at £2.99

regards Ray

• 1 month later...

In the Bognor Regis branch of the Works picked up this weekend

Fighter heroes of WW1 - Joshua Levine £1.99

Veterans The last Survivors of the Great War - Richard Van Emden £2.99 Pen and Sword

Britain's Last Tommies - Richard Van Emden in hardback £4.99 Pen and Sword

The Last Veteran - Peter Parker £1.99

Battle of Britain - Richard Hough and Denis Richards £2.99 from £16.99 Pen and Sword

Fighter Aces of the RAF in The Battle of Britain - Philip Kaplan £4.99 from £19.99 Pen and Sword

All I have got to do now is find space on the bookshelf and check I don't already own.

Mandy

• 3 weeks later...

I assume that

The Last Veteran - Peter Parker £1.99

should not be confused with

The Lost Veteran - Will O'Brian (free on line in his blog)

• 3 months later...

Haig's Command A Reassessment by Denis Winter going for £2.99 at the Wrexham branch. A must have for those not quite smitten with Haig! :whistle:

Straight call between Fantasy, or Misery Memoirs ...

Phew, dodged a bullet there, Geraint... (or a barrage from certain observers..)

Quite right Phil. If it has my name on it..,.

(Not the fully reformed Haigist. Still thinking Haig=dodgy character...) ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of Kitchener's Lost Boys From The Playing Fields To The Killing Fields by John Oakes in Hardback for £3.99 at the Bognor Regis branch.

Mandy

For any Kent based people ,there is a seprate works at the Maritime shopping center which is larger than the Chatham branch and diffrent stock ,also does any one use the remainder book shop by Waterloo station ? well worth a look has quite a bit of stuff normaly stocked by Naval and Military .

I concur. I don't often travel by waterloo these days, but I always check the remainder shop and have found a few bargains there.

Similarly in Hampshire the shops run under "The Works" name vary considerably. The one in Portsmouth at Gunwharf is pants, but I have had several bargains at the branch in the Fareham shopping centre. Could they be a franchise operation, with the stock to some degree subject to the whim of the franchisee I wonder,

Keith

You could be correct as the one at Mcarthur Glen in Ashford Kent is awful ,were as the Chatham maritime one had the Kitchners Boys and one on Luftwaffe postcards ! as you say over the years the Waterloo shop has had some super stuff and with out the postage from Naval and Military .

There is a big difference between the quality of stock in Chichester, which has virtually no military books and the Bognor branch which is stuffed full of military titles mainly WW2 at the moment.

Mandy

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of LOOS 1915 by Nick LLoyd at the Weston-Super-Mare branch of THE WORKS last Saturday.

Hardback, 315 pages. The price? 49p. Yes FORTYNINE PENCE only.

On their clearence table and in perfect condition.

Regards, Keith.

Half way through 'Drawing Fire' - it's great!! Like many of his generation you can tell there are certain things he does not want to talk about and quickly brushes over, but you still sense the emotion as he does so. Great drawings too!!

Enjoy!

Jim

Picked up a copy of LOOS 1915 by Nick LLoyd at the Weston-Super-Mare branch of THE WORKS last Saturday.

Hardback, 315 pages. The price? 49p. Yes FORTYNINE PENCE only.

On their clearence table and in perfect condition.

Regards, Keith.

w00t.png

Sounds a bargain, too bad my local branch hasn't got it.

Whilst members sing the praises of "The Works" here is another highly recommended discount book shop. I have never visited the Wells, Somerset branch without purchasing a book(s) lots of Pen & Sword editions plus many other WW1 & WW2 titles. The beauty of these shops is that the stock is renewed on a very regular basis and never fails to relieve me of cash!.

Superbook

Norman

Hmm! I see from your link Norman that they also sell "adult jigsaws'. Is that a child's jigsaw that's just had it's 18th birthday; or 'adult' as in consenting adults and closed doors? :ph34r:

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

A few of my recent purchases all at BIG discounts

Images of War - The Germans at Arras (P&S)

St Julien - Ypres (P&S)

St Quentin - Hindenburg Line (P&S)

Beaucourt - Somme (P&S)

Airfields & Airmen - Cambrai (P&S)

Loos Hill 70 - French Flanders (P&S)

Messines Ridge - Ypres (P&S)

Graves & Sassoon (P&S)

Airfields & Airmen Arras (P&S)

The Forgotten Highlander (WW2) Highly recommended

Berlin - The Downfall by Antony Beevor (HB)

Just a few

Norman

I echo that. I was there in Tuesday and did not spend a single penny on Great War stuff. Very poor fare. I blame websites like the GWF for whipping up a WW1 frenzy.

Hay is very over-hyped and having visited many times I have come to the conclusion that the kindest thing would be to pulp at least 95% of the books there turn the result into something useful. Never spent any sizable sum and I suspect that the decent books never get to the shelves for the public to buy.

Regards

Norman

Lovejoys, Tottenham Court Road had a good selection last Saturday, got Dough boys for £4.99. A selection of narratives / memoirs from Americans on the Western Front. As ever I resisted the devils temptation to descend to the lower floors where a title like Doughboys could mean anything!!!???!!!!

TT

My best bargain this week has been 'The Liverpool Pals' by Graham Maddocks.

RRP £25.00 , Amazon £21.25. I bought it from hcb wholesale in Hay on Wye for £8.99 and it was delivered the next day!