The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cheap Books at "The Works"

Rob Connolly

Sandie

Waterstone's are quite capable of accepting orders for books that are unavailable. Rat's Alley has been unobtainable for quite a time. You were very fortunate.

Keith

This week's purchases from N&MP (from the sale section):

In Enemy Hands: A British Territorial Soldier in Germany 1915-1919 (£3.96)

TERRITORIALS 1908-1914 A Guide for Military and Family Historians (£12.76)

Airfields & Airmen of Cambrai (£3.16)

Airfields And Airmen Of The Somme (£3.16)

GERMAN ARMY ON THE WESTERN FRONT 1917-1918 Rare Photographs From Wartime Archives (£3.96)

Germans at Arras Rare Photographs From Wartime Archives (£3.96)

CONSCRIPTS Forgotten Men of the Great War (£3.16)

STANLEY SPENCER’S GREAT WAR DIARIES (£6.36)

PATHS OF GLORY The French Army, 1914-18: The French Army, 1914-1918 (£3.16)

MASSACRE ON THE MARNE Life & Death in the 2/5th West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War (£4.76)

DAY WE WON THE WAR Turning Point at Amiens 8 August 1918 (£7.96)

FOR KING AND COUNTRY VOCES FROM THE FIRST WORLD WAR (£4.76)

HOW THE WAR WAS WON (£3.16)

CIVIL SERVICE RIFLES IN THE GREAT WAR ‘ALL BLOODY GENTLEMEN’ (£3.16)

‘LOOK TO YOUR FRONT’: Studies in The First World War (£2.36)

And from the National Archives (Sale section):

Swansea Pals (£5.99)

Bradford Pals (£5.99)

Cheshire Bantams (£5.99)

Liverpool Pals (£7.99) *Sorry, Sandie :P

That lots should stop the shelves blowing away! :whistle:

'Waterstone's are quite capable of accepting orders for books that are unavailable. Rat's Alley has been unobtainable for quite a time. You were very fortunate'.

Had I have thought at the time I would have posted news of Poundland's stock on here.

Waterstone's are quite capable of accepting orders for books that are unavailable. Rat's Alley has been unobtainable for quite a time. You were very fortunate.

I won't buy from Waterstones (no apostrophe now, apparently) again because my wife ordered something from them as a present for me, before Christmas. They failed to deliver, offered no explanation until pressed after Christmas when they said that their supplier was out of stock. A telephone call to the supplier revealed that Waterstones had never placed an order with them and that they had plenty of stock. When challenged, Waterstones offered no explanation, just a standard e-mail acknowledging that we had cancelled the order. And guess what - when we queried the cancellation and insisted that we hadn't cancelled any order, they didn't reply. Having just checked, their website shows the item as unavailable.

No more money from this household to any company that provides such abysmal service. :angry2:

Should have gone to Specsavers Linesman :rolleyes:

Sandie

Keith

W H Smith also.

• 3 weeks later...

I visited Superbook in Lyndhurst yesterday and came away with a copy of "The Devil's Chariots" for £4.99. They had as Norman said in his earlier post quite a good selection. Of course late last night I found my other copy of that volume. The monthly antiquarian book fair there was disappointing, and I went on my way for a forest walk with my wallet almost intact.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

If Your Reading This - Last Letters from the Front by Sian Price

on sale at The Works, at the Old Barn Garden Centre, near Ashington, Sussex for £4.99

• 2 years later...

"Mapping the First World War" - 3 copies @ £9.99 in the Wolverhampton branch yesterday.

"Mapping the First World War" - 3 copies @ £9.99 in the Wolverhampton branch yesterday.

None in Chester, but a large pile in the Ellesmere Port branch last Tuesday.

No copies of Mapping the Great War in my local branch of The Works when I looked the other day :(, but I was able to get a copy at the same price by mail order through their website :thumbsup: Although there is a free 'click & collect' option available, I opted for the - quite reasonable considering its size & weight - standard P&P charge of £2.98 & it's still very good value even allowing for that.

NigelS

There are good-as-new or new copies available through Amazon, (using the forum link of course), for that sort of price: Here.

William

Edit: and since I looked 10 minutes ago, the cheapest copies have already sold!

This is what I got when I followed the link to their web site posted by NigelS (thanks!) and entered "First World War" in their search engine:

http://www.theworks.co.uk/search/First+World+War?page=1&pageSize=200&orderBy=

As you will see, they claim that they have 1,007 items for sale. However, a closer examination of the first page (i.e. the first 200) reveals that the First and Second World Wars and lots of other areas are lumped in together. It looks to me as if the search engine is working on a number of phrases - "World War", "War" and others, and not "First World War", hence the amount of irrelevant books shown.

There does, though seem to be quite a lot of good stuff there; maybe I should have a longer look again!

Just received Mapping he GW as a present - full price, but I will feel virtuous as it was bought from the Indy Petworth book shop!

I bought "My Boy Jack?" by Tonie and Valmai Holt (The search for Rudyard Klipling's son) from the Cheltenham branch on Saturday, price £4.

They had others books there, including "Mapping the Great War", but I didn't make a note of what they were or their prices.

• 2 months later...

My other half has just come in with Harry's War the Great War Diary of Harry Drinkwater for £4.00 in hardback from Bognor Regis branch.

Mandy

Thanks for the recommendation, I will put it to the top of the reading pile.

Mandy

• 1 year later...

Just picked up a copy of a paperback novel for a couple of pounds in 'The Works' shop in a local garden centre, 'Glory - A Story of Gallipoli', by Rachel Billington. Interestingly the authors grandfather was Brigadier-General Thomas, Earl of Longford, 'who was killed at Suvla Bay on August 21st 1915'.

Mike.

Not cheap and not at The Works but for sale in Bromsgrove Oxfam bookshop,The Sky their Battlefield, first edition,pristine,hardback a mere £70.

John

Birmingham (New Street) at The Works, copies of Mace & Grehans Slaughter on the Somme £6.00

John

Copy purchased couldn't resist,it would have been rude not to.

Peter Hart's 'Voices from the Front' is £7 (HB) in the Cardiff and MacArthur Glen Works' shops...

Bernard