The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Alfred Wood 7th Battalion Leicestershire Reg

hello everyone, this is my first post so I am sorry if it is not too clear.

I am trying to find out about the battles that my great uncle Alfred may have been involved in. He was killed on 13th March 1918 and has a special memorial in Epehy Farm Cemetry (mem 1) as his grave could not be found when they consolidated the cemetery. These are his details Private A WOOD 36348, 7th Bn., Leicestershire Regiment. The only details of his death that the family know are that he was blown to bits after warning comrades of a shell coming over. I really have no idea how to start to research this but after visiting the cemetery last year I have a need to know more about him. Thank you

Hello Nattie, welcome to the forum. Your best bet is to go and explore The Long, Long Trail website. There's a link at the top left of this page. You can track down the battalion, and find out a lot more about how to research him.

Nattie,

I would strongly recommend that you get hold of a copy of the book "The Tigers", which is the story of the Kitchener Battalions (6th, 7th, 8th and 9th) of the Leicestershire Regiment, which was written by Matthew Richardson and published by Pen & Sword in 2000 ish. If you lived in Leicestershire you would find pretty well every library had a copy. It is well-written and well-illustrated and covers the major actions well. (I need to stop now, otherwise this post will get shunted to the book review strand...)

Good searching,

Dave