The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hampstead Cemetery

chrisharley9

In connection with an IFCP case I would be very grateful for a picture of the grave of Surgeon Charles James RN who died 7th Oct 1919. His grave is H5 119 & is marked by a private memorial.

Chris

Judy

thanks very much for your help

Chris

In connection with an IFCP case I would be very grateful for a picture of the grave of Surgeon Charles James RN who died 7th Oct 1919. His grave is H5 119 & is marked by a private memorial.

Chris

Chris

Today I found I wasn't able to access the H 5 119 area at Hampstead cemetery. I got as far as H 5 109, then went back to the office to check.

They showed me on a plan where H 5 119 is - on the other side of the path - totally overgrown with large and prickly blackberry bushes. I tried every which way to get in there - walked around all sides and trampled into the bushes in a couple of directions. I can see there is a possibility it could be cut into in winter when the foliage dies, as some of the brambles are not actually all that thick (prickly though!).

I have been reading the glowing obituary of Surgeon-General Charles James, RN, in the British Medical Journal of 1 November 1919 and I would really like to be able to find his grave.

(Just in case I was having a 'senior day', I would be most pleased if anyone else is at Hampstead and wants to have a search, and I would be extremely pleased if you found it.)

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Judy

Judy

no worries & thanks for going to the trouble to attempt to find his grave. Will have to give the BMJ a look up

Chris

Judy

no worries & thanks for going to the trouble to attempt to find his grave. Will have to give the BMJ a look up

Chris

Hi Chris

It's here, sorry I would have put the link but thought you'd probably seen it

here

I still haven't given up on finding it!

Judy

I see in the obit it reads [He was] ever ready to help a lame dog over the thorny places of life's rough way.

Oh but had he been there to help a lady over the thorny blackberries to his final resting place.

Martin

Well do you know Martin that I actually kept asking him where he was! I really do have a feeling I was close by actually and I think winter will be a good time to go back. I have thorny scratches up to my waist, a tear in my (old, cemetery visiting) trousers and when I got home I saw I had travelled home (public transport) with streaks of dirt across my face!

Judy

Judy

yes I found the obituary; do not go getting yourself hurt on my account. If IFCP get him accepted hopefully the council will get the vegetation cleared.

Chris

Judy

yes I found the obituary; do not go getting yourself hurt on my account. If IFCP get him accepted hopefully the council will get the vegetation cleared.

Chris

Chris

Yes, I do expect that's what will happen re clearing (although from past experience 'polite persistence' over some time can be necessary). I had been thinking that finding the grave wouldn't actually be part of the acceptance process, but I don't like giving up! I do hope IFCP get him accepted. I'll keep a look out.

Judy

Judy

getting a grave photo helps the acceptance quite a bit, but the lack of a photo will not stop it.

Chris

Judy

getting a grave photo helps the acceptance quite a bit, but the lack of a photo will not stop it.

Chris

Chris

Aha, I see. I haven't given up.

Judy

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris

I am extremely happy to report that access has been cut to Surgeon General Charles James's grave and I have photos. It was exactly where I had envisaged - previously I knew I was so close and yet I just couldn't get there. I also have the other photo for you. An excellent day. It may be tomorrow night or Saturday before I can email them.

best regards

Judy

Judy

thanks very much for your help. How was the Holy Land by the way

Chris

Hi Chris

Photos are on the way. Holy Land tour was fantastic - very highly recommended. Today is the anniversary of the charge at Beersheba and to think that just a couple of weeks ago I was standing on Tel Beer Sheva and overlooking the area where the charge took place - spine tingling really...

cheers

Judy