The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German machine Gun Companies

Chris Boonzaier

I have seen references to 1. M.G.K , 2.M.G.K., 8.M.G.K. and was wondering if anyone knew just how many Machine Gun Companies could be found in a German infantry regiment?

I had assumed one, but why would each regt give it a different number?

All the best

Chris

Hello,

In 1914 there was normally one machine gun company in a regiment (MGK). Later in the war there was one machine gun company in each battalion (1. MGK, 2. MGK, 3. MGK).

Regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

how would the numbering then work?

1-4 Komp I Btln

5-8 Komp II Btln

9-12 Komp III Btln

Would the M.G.K fall outside the numbering of these Btln's ?

I have a reference to a 1. M.G.K. with the III Batln in mid 1916 and know there was a 2. M.G.K in Jan 1917.

I am using R.I.R. 10 as an example here.

All the best

Chris

how would the numbering then work?

1-4 Komp I Btln

5-8 Komp II Btln

9-12 Komp III Btln

Chris, This would be the numbering of companies for the infantry of a regiment, the machine gun companies would be seperate. As Jan mentioned, the normal regiment started with a single MG Coy that was expanded during the war to a second and then a third MG Coy. At the end of the war you would also have the introduction of the MG 08/15 that were assigned to men inside the different infantry companies as well and not included in the MG Coy strength.

It is quite feasible that the 1st MG Coy was working with the III Bn., there was no fixed attachment for the MG Coy, they were used as needed and not assigned to a specific battalion.

Ralph

Ah..understood.

I was not sure id the MGK were part of the regular 1-12 numbering system.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

It is also not uncommon to see the MGK listed as the 13th Komp. in a regiment. This is particularly the case in 1914 when a regiment was only supposed to have a single Machine Gun Company. This was the case in 139th IR and a few others I've looked into.

Joe Sweeney

Don't forget that there were a number of German Regiments that were formed with 4 Battalions, the last consisting of the 13th-16th Companies.

Ralph

Actually, prior to the great expansion of MG Komp in 15/16, in regiments with three Battalions the 13th Komp was the MG Komp. and it might also have a 14th Kompanie (Festungs MG Komp).

In 4 Battalion formations the 17th Kompanie was the MG Komp.

The Kompanie numbered buttons (Schulterknopfe) would reflect this numbering.

Joe Sweeney

• 2 weeks later...