The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Amiens 1918

Mr Wig

Hi there folks,

I know there's a few books out there...

Could anyone recommend which one is the pick of the bunch ?

Cheers

Wig

Don't know about the pick of the bunch but this one was written by an Officer and his descriptions and observations based on the Field Service Regulations. There are also questions in the back of the book such as you might find on an Officer's selection course or similar.

BATTLE OF AMIENS 1918, and Operations 8th August-3rd September, 1918, by Lt Col Kearsey

Available as a reprint from Naval & Military Press.

I am sure other members will have suggestions.

Peter Hart's book on 1918 is very good, and there's a modern book with the title Amiens 1918 which is good, too, but I can't remember the author's name. Harris?

I agree with Steve. I read Peter Hart's book just a few weeks ago and would thoroughly recommend it. An older book by Barrie Pitt, " 1918: The Last Act", is worth a read.

' Amiens 1918' by McWilliams and Steel. You might also look on the Australian War Memorial website at their Official Histories, all on-line, Vol VI covers the Amiens operations. `

Peter Hart's book on 1918 is very good, and there's a modern book with the title Amiens 1918 which is good, too, but I can't remember the author's name. Harris?

Thanks Steven !

I agree with Steve. I read Peter Hart's book just a few weeks ago and would thoroughly recommend it. An older book by Barrie Pitt, " 1918: The Last Act", is worth a read.

Cheers,

Wig

"Amiens 1918" by Gregory Blaxland.

Colin.

Much appreciated Colin !

Wig

The day we won the war by Charles Messenger.

John.

Thanks John,

I've read some top reviews on this one...

Cheers

Wig

' Amiens 1918' by McWilliams and Steel. You might also look on the Australian War Memorial website at their Official Histories, all on-line, Vol VI covers the Amiens operations. `

Thanks Paul,

I've had a snoop at the the War Memorial's online shop...there's some great stuff.

The only drag is the postage can be more expensive than the book ! (I'm an Aussie living in the US)

Cheers

Wig

Australian... Official Histories, all on-line, Vol VI covers the Amiens operations.
The Canadian War Diaries are pretty much all online too. I don't recall a consolidated overall view of the battle, in the same way that the Australians compiled. Using the other sources listed above, however, you will be able to access the detailed reports of any units that you might have a further interest in.

Barrie Pitt's book is somewhat dated now, so I would not recommend it as a sole source. Definitely not the best in light of later research.

Remember that the French played an important role, which is often not covered well. The main reference, typically, is to their failure to protect the right flank of the Canadian advance at all times. Doughty gives a good perspective in his book 'A Pyrrhic Victory'.

Heinz Guderian provided some insights in his book on the evolution of Panzer tactics.

Robert

That's the one I was thinking of. Very good.

Thanks Paul,

I've had a snoop at the the War Memorial's online shop...there's some great stuff.

The only drag is the postage can be more expensive than the book ! (I'm an Aussie living in the US)

Cheers

Wig

I was thinking more of the access the site gives to the entire Australian Official History, all readable on line, and not a pound (or dollar) needs to change hands. Alas, I spent vast sums on the reissued volumes back in the '80s. At least they lend a certain gravitas to the bookshelves!

I was thinking more of the access the site gives to the entire Australian Official History, all readable on line, and not a pound (or dollar) needs to change hands. Alas, I spent vast sums on the reissued volumes back in the '80s. At least they lend a certain gravitas to the bookshelves!

Yeah, I've used the AWM site big time for accessing service records, war diaries, etc.

This digital age does has it's advantages !

But I was after a book on the offensive to quote you to 'lend a certain gravitas to the bookshelves !'

Have a great weekend,

Cheers

Wig

J P Harris and Nial Barr's 'Amiens to Armistice' covers the whole 100 days and is excellent.

Michael

Thanks Michael, much appreciated !

Cheers

Wig