The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte William ENGLISH, 2nd Bn HLI

Auimfo

Wondering in anyone out there may be able to help me find some more information on my Great Grandfathers service.

We believe Pte William John ENGLISH joined the HLI around 1900 (as a boy bugler) and apparantly served in the Boer War. From my research this would mean he was with the 1st Bn at this point in time since the 2nd didn't go to Sth Africa.

By the beginning of WW1 he was with the 2nd Bn, participated in the retreat from Mons and survived the war. At wars end the 2nd HLI was sent to Russia and William wanted to go but my GGrandmother must have put her foot down very firmly. William tried to bluff her by telling her if he couldn't go then he would quit the army and take the family to Australia. She called his bluff and here I am in Melbourne!!

Unfortunately there is little evidence left of his service during WW1 except a MIC and absolutely nothing regarding Boer War service. The MIC shows his regimental number to be similar to 7547 but it is a little difficult to read and could equally be 1547, 7347 or 1347.

Is there anyone out there that may be able to shed some light on his service during both the Boer War and WW1.

The following two photos are of William, the first taken in 1902 and the second in 1908.

Thanks,

Tim.

post-1-1086662013.jpg