The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

death penny to a 14 15 year old

trenchwalker

hi all

just got anstey .com and have just go round to looking up various medal and just got on to the death plaques.

and the penny to 'HORACE A LEVETT' KILLED march 1918.

there are only 3 horace levetts

one born 1864 mean he would have been 54

1904 aged 14

1903 aged 15

could it be i have a boy soldier such a STRUDWICK or CONDON

Guest Man of Kent

I take it you mean ancestry.com? If so, it's far more likely that the name was incorrectly recorded in the original enumerator's records. I have found many such errors, so try typing in different spellings. A useful tool can be found here:

Surname Thesaurus

Good hunting!

Guest Pete Wood

Trenchie

Please post a picture of this memorial plaque.

You mention the soldier's name was Horace A. Levett. Does this mean that the plaque does not give his middle name, and only has an initial....??

Anyway, I think we can clear up the mystery. CWGC says his middle name is Abram.

SDGW shows he was born in Newmarket and was formerly in the Suffolk Regiment.

However, I believe he was registered at birth as:

Horace Abraham LEVITT, born Newmarket in the September quarter of 1883. In the 1901 census, Horace Levitt is shown as being a 18 year old 'Labourer on Heath.'

So he was 35 years of age when he died.

I have noticed that there are more spelling errors/discrepancies for soldiers who do not appear to have any next of kin details (as shown on the CWGC register).

Always the same matching it correctly. Seems that this aspect wasnt as accurate as we need nowadays.

It also applies to war memorials, try telling people they have to be spelt right and they look at you as if you are an alien.

John

RT

Those entries in the CWGC database without n-o-k details come from military records and have had no Final Verification Form returned. Those with the details have been verified by the n-o-k and are more likely to be right (but not always!).

'Abram' could be some recruiting sergeant's spelling of 'Abraham'!