The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cavalry units of the 1st World War

KennethB

Hi all,

I've been watching with interest several threads that have been on going in the forum on Cavalry. This has lead to me being even more confused about this topic. Recently I found that my Great Grand Dad (a bit of a surprise, seems the man I thought was my Great Grand Dad was a Step Great Grand Dad) was in the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeomanry. Given the fact that the western front was a meat grinder and that cavalry was of limited use during the deadlock, I never really ever gave the horsemen any attention in my studies. I'm hoping to correct that now. While it would be great if Cavalry had it's own sub-forum, I'm going to toss out some questions. Most likely these will lead to other ones, so please forgive me in advance as sometimes I tend to hyperfocus. Also, should any one else have questions, I would welcome them too. I'm hoping the largest collection of great minds on WW1 can help me understand these soldiers and what they did!

1. Unit organization. How big was a Cavalry regiment. What was it break down, from smallest unit up to full regiment. Hopefully this will include numbers for each of these, and highest ranking officer for each.
  2. Brigade Organization. How many regiments to make a brigade, and its leadership.
  3. Division Organization. Same as above.
  4. Did all of the commonwealth countries organize the same way.
  5. Did the British cavalry in Palestine operate the same as the NZ and Australian Light-horsemen or did they act as regular cavalry.
  6. MG sections. Where they mounted on horseback (have seen photos) or on trucks.
  7. Any info on Horse artillery. Of this I know nothing.
  8. Hoping for a list of battles that cavalry actually acted as cavalry. While I know that there would many meeting engagements, I'm hoping for major operations (ie the Somme).
  9. A list of charges. I know this is a big one, with many units claiming the honours of the last charge. This can be any country, commonwealth or German.
  10. A good source for the colour schemes for the different Gideon's of each unit. In particular I'm hoping for the colours of the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeo.
  11. A list of good reading materials. This can be books or websites.

I'll leave off here for now. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Ken

the colour schemes for the different Gideon's of each unit.

Guidons (pronounces Gheedon). Gideons are Bibles :lol:

Many of your questions are answered in the LLT (top left of the screen). If you haven't already, I suggest you potter there and come back with any supplementary.

I would add that Indian cavalry formations generally had one British to two Indian cavalry regiments per brigade.

One of the great attributes of British cavalry (with regard to your question about comparison between ALH and Birtish cavalry usage) was that British cavalry were trained and equipped to act as mounted infantry, as well as pure cavalry.

For example, under the tutelage of Lt E Spiers (later to gain fame as liaison officer with the French), the 11th Hussars went to France in 1914 with not one man as a 3rd Class shot. I believe nearly half the regiment were either Marksmen or 1st Class shots. Equipped with the standard infantry rifle (rather than the carbine used in many armies), British cavalry could, and did, act as infantry on many occasions.

Good hunting and come back with any extra questions.

Ken, just a minor point but it will help when you are studying the LLT information. Cavalry always fought as cavalry. There is a tendency to think that the dismounted role was not a cavalry role. While this may have been true of earlier wars, cavalry from all sides on the Western Front were trained to fit dismounted. It is best not to think of the cavalry as being defined by the charge.

Robert

Steven,

Here lyes another victim of spell cheque ! blink.gif

Robert,

Again sorry, didn't mean to generalize that the charge was everything to measure a cavalry unit by. Though I will admit that the charge scene from the "Lighthorsemen " movie was well done and gets the heart going! I was more or less looking to put together a list of charges on a timeline of sorts. As I said many units claim the last charge! The affair at Huj by the 1/1 Warwickshire and the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeo - 5th Mounted Brigade(1.5 Squadrons each, of which I'm trying to figure out if my chap was part of) is listed by some sources as the "last" one. Then there is the Canadian Cavalry Brigade (RCD, FGH, LSH) at Moreuil Wood, or the Dorset and Buck's - 6th Mounted Brigade , or .........

Looked at LLT, sadly Chris has removed some of the cavalry pages for reformatting. Still it did provide a good breakdown of organization. And leads to some more questions!

Did TF mounted units have 3 squadrons like reg. forces or 4 squadrons like the House Guards?

I've found reference to 4 squadrons, with "B" as RHQ (this may be just my take on it). I've found a great reference book that gives details of the Palestine campaign, but I only have seen references to "A", "C", "D" squadrons. No "B". Don't know what to make of this!

Also, what was the breakdown of the Squadron? I've read the term "Troop", but no description of size or number making up a Squadron.

What is the difference then between the following - Cavalry, TF Cavalry (Yeo), Mounted Rifles, and Light Horsemen?

And a couple of newbie questions too! What is Army Precedence order? And were "New Army" units ones created after the war started?

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Ken

I would also like to know about the amount of squadrons. As I said in a earlier post I have a 1908 photo of my relative in the 10th Hussars in C (HQ) squadron. However, reading the war diary it says there are A, B, C and HQ squadron.

Anyone explain this?

Cheers.

What is the difference then between the following - Cavalry, TF Cavalry (Yeo), Mounted Rifles, and Light Horsemen?

And a couple of newbie questions too! What is Army Precedence order? And were "New Army" units ones created after the war started?

Cavalry tend to be regular troops, mostly British or Indian

Yeomanry are the territorial cavalry - like the Worcester yeomanry, or the Hampshire Carabiniers, for example

Mounted Rifles and Light Horse seem to be the Australian, New Zealand and Canadian units, though I think the term Mounted Rifles had been used for a couple of British yeomanry outfits, and "Mounted Infantry" was a term used in S Africa and subsequently for mounted units formed from infantry battalions.

Precedence is the term given to the hierarchy of units - it was (and is) very important that everyone knows who's top. For example, the Royal Scots, as the 1st of Foot, took precedence over the Queen's regiment (2nd Foot), and they over the Buffs (3rd Foot), etc, etc. It's why, when looking at orders of battle, units appear in a correct order - senior first down to the most junior. Post-war cavalry amalgamation (such as 13/18th Hussars put the oldest first (the 16th/5th lancers being because the 5th Dragoons had been disbanded and the re-formed regiment took a lower precedence than the higher-number, but older, regiments).

New Army indicates war-raised units, such as Srvice battalions, Pals battalions, etc, but not those formed under the auspices of the territorial Force, so second-line TF units are not New Army. All New Army units were war-raised, but not all war-raised units were New Army.

As for squadrons, I believe a cavalry unit had 3, plus an HQ, but the lettering was up to the unit, so I guess it is possible (joe), that the Shiners had A, B, and D, with C being HQ. Not sure, but it's possible.

Just to add to Steven's masterly summary. New Army were the men who answered the famous Your Country needs You! posters in August 1914, with the picture of Lord Kitchener giving the shirkers the evil eye. They were also known as Kitchener's Armies, shortened to K1,K2 . The first one hundred thousand forming K1. and numbering from 9th Division. K2 started from 15th Div. Volunteers tailed off after that first few months. There was an ill fated Derby scheme to supplement volunteers with conscripted men but that failed to provide the required numbers. Full blown conscription was introduced in 1916 with the first conscripts joining the fighting in, I believe, 1917. I do not think any were out of training in 1916. The whole question of cavalry and how far they should be trained as mounted infantry, was a hot potato from the Boer War onwards and was still a contentious subject after the great war.

I would also like to know about the amount of squadrons. As I said in a earlier post I have a 1908 photo of my relative in the 10th Hussars in C (HQ) squadron. However, reading the war diary it says there are A, B, C and HQ squadron.

Anyone explain this?

Cheers.

Joe - next Monday I shall be doing some work in the museum/archive of the current resting place of The Shiners, the King's Royal Hussars, Home HQ (South). I'll ask nicely if I can have a look at the regimental history and see what I can see.

I have a copy of the unit history for the Worcs Yeomanry if you need lookups - it has a very useful list of embarkation dates.

Cheers

Simon

... didn't mean to generalize that the charge was everything to measure a cavalry unit by.

Ken, no problem. As it happens, there were far more charges delivered in WW1 than most people realise. The Marquess of Angelsey focused on this aspect of the British cavalry in the relevant volumes of his (expensive) 'History of the British Cavalry'.

Mention has already been made of the differences. Significantly, the Yeomanry were not allowed to carry swords prior to WW1. This caused a lot of rancour. It was one of the last vestiges of the regular cavalry versus mounted infantry debate that raged in the years between the Boer and First World Wars. Stephen Badsey provides a very detailed review of this debate in his book 'Doctrine and Reform in the British Cavalry 1880-1918' (ISBN 978 0 7546 6467 3).

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the book names!

Just to see if I'm understanding cavalry usage in Palestine correctly.

The Australian Light Horse were generally (history shows us they did fight mounted as well) used as a mounted infantry, which would ride until contact was made then dismount, assign horse holders and fight in a skirmish line. They were issued bayonet swords as opposed to a sword. (Please, no offence was meant by this generalization)

The Mounted Yeomanry were cavalry first, then dismounted infantry second. Thus they would fight from horse back where possible, and dismounting where further advance or defence while mounted would be unsound. Same would apply to reg cavalry stationed in this theater of war?

Which leads to a new set of questions (big surprise!).

Did the Australians use any reg cavalry during WW1?

Were the New Zealand mounted forces the same type as the Australian ones?

Indian cavalry was patterned on British reg. cavalry, and fought as such?

The Canadian Mounted Rifles (I think this infers Mounted Infantry, and was a hold over from our troops used during the Boer War) never fought from horse, and served the war as infantry once the reality of stalemate had set in?

Did the South African forces use cavalry?

A big thanks to all who have weighted in, and for the patience shown for the unending barrage of questions!

Ken

Me again,

In the interest of keeping the thread tidy, I'm going to repost questions that are current (not been answered or advised on).

1. MG sections. Where they mounted on horseback (have seen photos) or on trucks.
  2. Any info on Horse artillery. Of this I know nothing.
  3. A good source for the colour schemes for the different Guidon's of each unit. In particular I'm hoping for the colours of the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeo.
  4. A list of good reading materials. This can be books or websites.
  5. Did the Australians use any reg cavalry during WW1?
  6. Were the New Zealand mounted forces the same type as the Australian ones?
  7. Indian cavalry was patterned on British reg. cavalry, and fought as such?
  8. The Canadian Mounted Rifles (I think this infers Mounted Infantry, and was a hold over from our troops used during the Boer War) never fought from horse, and served the war as infantry once the reality of stalemate had set in?
  9. Did the South African forces use cavalry?

As before, anyone can jump in here.

Regards,

Ken

Ken, some responses to questions:

1. MGs and equipment could be carried on horseback or in wagons. I am not aware of the systematic use of trucks, even in the late war period.

2. What sort of information are you looking for on horse artillery? It is a biggish subject.

5. The Australians did not have their own regular cavalry. There was an attempt to arm some LH with swords.

6. New Zealand mounted troops were the same type. Both countries had a tradition of cattle-mustering on horseback, which made for proficient riders who were often used to hunting and for excellent tough horses.

7. Indian cavalry was broadly patterned on British regular cavalry.

9. South Africa had a number of mounted units, enough to be organised into at least four mounted brigades (remembering that a mounted 'brigade' was substantially smaller than its infantry counterpart) in the German South West Africa campaign for example. Some units were still known as commandos, usually named after their town or region of origin. Others included the South African Mounted Riflemen, Hartigan's Horse, Natal Light Horse, Natal Mounted Rifles, and Umvoti Mounted Rifles.

Robert

7. Indian cavalry was broadly patterned on British regular cavalry.

Sadly, I'm at work and stopping overnight, but IIRC, Indian cavalry units had 4 squadrons per regiment.

This might be of interest.

As previously noted Anglesey's Cavalry History is the standard reference with there being a

volume on the Great War. I would also recommend a book called "Hussar of the Line" for details of the domestic life of a cavalry regiment just before WW1.

My GF was in HQ Squadron 19th Hussars and the squadrons of the 15th and 19th served split up as divisional cavalry in August 1914. The cavalry was the only viable mobile units and the work they done in 1914 as the eyes and ears of their divisions was very valuable.

The 19th Hussars has a good claim on the last significant cavalry charge of the Great War - they charged the retreating Germans near Premont on 8/10/18 with pretty ghastly results - the CO was killed leading the charge - luckily my GF had been commissioned into the ASC a year earlier. As Colonel's trumpeter, I doubt he would have survived the charge.

Robert,

I think that the RHA will have to wait a bit. Lots to digest here already!

Can you clarify the size difference between a Mounted and Infantry Brigade?

Ian,

Thanks for the book titles, adding them to my study list!

Could you tell me what ASC stands for?

Thanks,

Ken

ASC = Army Service Corps ("Royal" added in 1919)

A Mounted brigade had only 3 Yeomanry regiments, whereas an Infantry Brigade had 4 battalions of infantry (until 1918, when it generally reduced to 3). Also a battalion of infantry was almost double the size of a regiment of yeomanry/cavalry. In action, additionally, a mounted unit had to detail blokes to hold on to the horses, so a mounted/cavalry brigade would effectively have about the same number of rifles in action as an infantry battalion.

Ken, Steven has provided a very clear explanation of the difference in size. The other way to illustrate this is to consider what happened when the dismounted cavalry were formed into 'infantry' units in late 1915. Each cavalry brigade became the equivalent of an infantry battalion. The cavalry formations were reconstituted in 1916.

Robert

Kenneth,

don't know where you live but the Worcs Regt. share their excellent museum with the Worcestershire Yeomanry in the Worcester City Museum and Library, in particular it has some very good displays regarding their actions in the Middle East during WW1.

Tony P

There's a PhD thesis by David Kenyon, 'British Cavalry on the Western Front 1916-1918', (2008) which you can download free from EThOS (but you need to search for the author and title using the search box on the site as there are no direct links to individual theses). It has lots of useful information about cavalry, including a list of charges.

Jean Bou, ‘Cavalry, Firepower, and Swords: The Australian Light Horse and the Tactical Lessons of Cavalry Operations in Palestine, 1916-1918’, Journal of Military History, 71/1 (2007), suggests that "more than half of the Australian Light Horse finished the First World War as full sword-carrying cavalry".

There's also some basic information about strengths and organizations of cavalry units and formations in the 1914 volume of the Official History, which is free to download at the Internet Archive.

Just realised this week that Paddy Griffiths' (ed) book British Fighting Methods in the Great War has an essay by Stephen Badsey, Cavalry and the Development of the Breakthrough Doctrine, which is worth reading. In it, he reminds me that the standard British rifle, the SMLE, was designed with cavalry use in mind, being (for want of a better term) snub nosed and easy to fit into a leather rifle holster. Additionally, he comments that the 14th Hussars in 1914 went even better than the 11th, in having an actual majority of marksmen. I bet there were infantry battalions who couldn't claim that.

In 1914 there was a slightly higher percentage of 1st class shots in the regular cavalry than the regular infantry.

Very interesting questions! But I'll answer just one of the easy ones about the number of Squadrons in a regiment. The peace-time organisation was 4 Sqdns plus HQ but the wartime structure was three only plus HQ, so one was disbanded and the men absorbed into the remaining three.

Very interesting questions! But I'll answer just one of the easy ones about the number of Squadrons in a regiment. The peace-time organisation was 4 Sqdns plus HQ but the wartime structure was three only plus HQ, so one was disbanded and the men absorbed into the remaining three.

In the case of the East Riding Yeo on mobilisation the regiment was reorganised into an HQ plus 3 "Service" Squadrons and 1 "Home Service" Squadron, the latter consisting of those who had not volunteered for overseas service, those who were not considered sufficiently trained or were too old or young for front line service. The "Home Service" Squadron was eventually expanded to form the second line regiment. The HQ and 3 "Service" Squadrons formed the first line and where subsequently deployed to Egypt.

Not all Yeomanry regiments were presented with a Guidon. The ERY for instance never had one, although they were late starters, only being formed in 1903.

Cheers,

Neil

I think (though |I'm not sure and can't remember where I read it) that Hussar regiments (being the mounted equivalent of iflemen, I suppose) didn't have guidons until late in the 20th Century. If correct, I suspect Yeomanry regiments who took Hussar status (if you see what I mean) were the same.