Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rank of BOY in Army

Guest KevinEndon

a soldier in the lowest grade [viii] in para 282 KR 1912 amended to 1914 was of the RANK as either:

trooper

gunner

driver

sapper

pioneer

private

the APPOINTMENTS that these could hold were numerous, alphabetically from acting bombardier to ........... wheeler.

"Boy" was such an appointment, surprisingly, and, if an infantryman, a Boy's RANK was in fact Private.

Soldiers were Boys until their 18th birthday, on which date their pay went from 8d per day to 1/- per day for Line Infantry. There was every incentive to lie about age, if only for the cash. A soldier's official birthday was the one he provided on enlisting: this was immutable. Birth certificates were NOT required for man entry, but were for Boy entry, together with parental permisssion in some cases. Boys could enlist for a trade, in which case their Terms of Engagement were less flexible. Soldiers under 19 years could and did go on Active Service with the CO's consent according to Mobilization Regs 1914, but my understanding is that they had to have been appointed as either drummer, bugler [light and rifles], trumpeter or piper [scots] beforehand ...... these appointments carried extra pay and were definitely combatant.

Regarding "Rank" on documents, medals and headstones: the appointment often is the prominent thing, thus a CQMS held CSgt rank but often appeared [usually?] as a CQMS.

Guest KevinEndon

Many thanks for the replies, I wonder why Drake is the first BOY I have came across there must have been more than just him who died under the age of 18

Kevin

The rank of 'boy' was used in the Army throughout the 19th and much of the 20th century, most commonly applied to an underage musician. I have in my collection a General Service Medal with clasp for ' Palestine 1945-48' that is named to a 'boy' in the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards. After a couple of years, this soldier was promoted to bandsman and eventually became the regiment's Trumpet Major.

Barney

The rank of 'boy' was used in the Army throughout the 19th and much of the 20th century, most commonly applied to an underage musician. I have in my collection a General Service Medal with clasp for ' Palestine 1945-48' that is named to a 'boy' in the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards. After a couple of years, this soldier was promoted to bandsman and eventually became the regiment's Trumpet Major.

Barney

I explained patiently and thoroughly above that BOY IS NOT A RANK BUT AN APPOINTMENT.

As also is bandsman.

I sometimes think I am wasting my time.

In fact, come to think of it, I probably am.

Hello all

Just as an aside, the regimental daily basic pay of an infantry private in 1914 was a shilling. Equivalent ranks inother arms usually received slightly more.

The daily basic pay of a Boy, in whichever arm he served, was eightpence. According to the Pay Warrant, this applied "until he reaches the age of 18, or is placed on the recognized establishment of the band." Previous posts illustrate that normally the only Boys serving abroad would have been bandsmen or drummers.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

A quick search of medal index cards on the National Archives site reveals almost 700 entries for Boys, including a few for Guards regiments. I checked a random sample of 4 of the latter and every one of them received a silver war badge (one for service of only 8 days in 1919) and none seemed to have overseas service in the rank.

I should mention that the 700 include a number of naval or marine Boys as well as various natives with African regiments.

A full trawl would reveal how scarce are medals named to Boys in the Army in WW1. Of course, there were many who served under age as Privates or whatever and who gained medals - for example the youngest Essex Yeoman to be killed in WW1 was only 15 in 1915.

Ian

One of my forebears was known as 'Boy' by his closest relatives even well into adulthood. So some of your names coming up could be just that.... the name by which he was known even into adulthood.

As for musicians joining the services, there was a strong link with industrial schools run by workhouse system whereby many boys were trained as musicians/bandsmen with a view to joining the services at age of 14 when they had to leave.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinEndon

Chris's link didnt work for me but this is him

Name: WHEELER

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 22/10/1914

Service No: 8119

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXXI. F. 20.

Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

cheers Terry for the link

Kevin

I explained patiently and thoroughly above that BOY IS NOT A RANK BUT AN APPOINTMENT.

As also is bandsman.

I sometimes think I am wasting my time.

In fact, come to think of it, I probably am.

No you're not Grumpy - I learn from you all the time when you step in with little gems like this one. I was often confused by the range of what I thought were ranks on headstones etc. I now see the error of my ways.

Jim

No you're not Grumpy - I learn from you all the time when you step in with little gems like this one. I was often confused by the range of what I thought were ranks on headstones etc. I now see the error of my ways.

Jim

Shucks!

Thank you.

Less Grumpy than I was .....

His Grumpiness is diminished .......

Enough of the compliments to Grumpy!

We all know that he is a helpful chap, and also very knowledgeable........but if we keep saying nice things to him, his grumpiness will decline to such an extent that he will have to think about changing his name!

:lol:

Bruce

Here's one in the RAF - dare I say it: a real 'fly-boy' :o I've got my coat!

Name: BLAKE, BERTRAM JACK FRANCIS

Initials: B J F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 1st Southern Aircraft Repair Depot

Date of Death: 09/03/1919

Service No: 159637

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Blake, of "Hopelands," Kew Gardens Rd., Kew, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Screen Wall. K. J. C3.

Cemetery: HASTINGS CEMETERY, Sussex

NigelS

I wonder if he was an influenza victim, given the date?

Ron