The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Officers' 'pips' and the Order of the Bath

daggers

Having seen a newspaper picture of the insignia of the Order of the Bath, I am wondering about its use as the star or pip in officers' badges of rank. How did this come about? I am sure one of our resident sages must know.

Daggers

Looks like you've baffled everyone!

Some regiments use a different design, The Foot Guards and Household Cavalry come to mind, using variants of the badges of the Order of the Garter, Thistle and Saint Patrick, and I believe one of the line cavalry regiments uses a design peculiar to it as well.

As for your question. I'm beaten too.

I would suggest making contact with the genealogist of the Order of the Bath, but the position is currently vacant following the death, last month, of Sir Peter Gwynn-Jones, the last incumbent.

Perhaps R ADM Iain Henderson CB CBE DL the Registrar and Secretary of the Order could be the way to go to find your answer.

as a Deputy Lieutenant for the county of Hampshire, he should be contactable through the Hampshire County Council.

Cheers,

Nigel

The star (pip) is that of the Order of the Bath, except in the Household regiments. The Life Guards, Blues and Royals, Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards and Welsh Guards use the star of the Order of the Garter, the Scots Guards that of the Order of the Thistle, and the Irish Guards that of the Order of St Patrick.

Mick

• 6 years later...
Guest Stefan Peeters Van den Bosch

I have a question about this officers pip;
I got 6 who belonged to my Grandfather Johannes Franciscus Van den Bosch.
Who was in fact stationed some time in england and trained to start the resistance in the neighborhood of Antwerp Belgium.

I'm looking some time now to find out what he did.
He never wanted to talk about the war exept one time when a old Jewish woman came to visit in Wommelgem where we lived.
She wanted to thank him and my grandmother ( my Grandmother passed away a few months before the visit)
My Grandfather lived on grounds that was for ages in the hands of the family Van den Bosch.
I was then 23 years old.
As they talked i heared that my Grandfather and Grandmother where in fact some high ranked persons in the resistance and the White Brigade.
My grandfather got a special training in England during the end of the first year and beginning second year in the war of "40 - "45.

Can someone in England help me with this piece of history that my Grandfather did?
I like to know how he got these six pips of the Royal Order of Bath?

Thank you in advance.

42 minutes ago, Stefan Peeters Van den Bosch said:

I have a question about this officers pip;
I got 6 who belonged to my Grandfather Johannes Franciscus Van den Bosch.
Who was in fact stationed some time in england and trained to start the resistance in the neighborhood of Antwerp Belgium.

I'm looking some time now to find out what he did.
He never wanted to talk about the war exept one time when a old Jewish woman came to visit in Wommelgem where we lived.
She wanted to thank him and my grandmother ( my Grandmother passed away a few months before the visit)
My Grandfather lived on grounds that was for ages in the hands of the family Van den Bosch.
I was then 23 years old.
As they talked i heared that my Grandfather and Grandmother where in fact some high ranked persons in the resistance and the White Brigade.
My grandfather got a special training in England during the end of the first year and beginning second year in the war of "40 - "45.

Can someone in England help me with this piece of history that my Grandfather did?
I like to know how he got these six pips of the Royal Order of Bath?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

As your query is WW2 related and this is a WW1 forum you may be better posting your message on ww2talk forum. I'm sure members there will assist.

http://ww2talk.com/

Your possession of 6 pips suggest your grandfather held the rank of Captain - he would've had 3 pips on each shoulder.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Edited by tullybrone

On 6 September 2010 at 16:55, daggers said:

Having seen a newspaper picture of the insignia of the Order of the Bath, I am wondering about its use as the star or pip in officers' badges of rank. How did this come about? I am sure one of our resident sages must know.

Daggers

Daggers this has been discussed zillions of times in the forum, most recently only a couple of weeks ago. If you do a 'search' you will have plenty of information.  In general I seem to recall that stars and crowns go right back to at least the 1840s, albeit used in different configurations to those used in WW1, which began in 1880, with captain and subalterns modified slightly in 1902.

33 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

To be fair this is a resurrection of a 2010 post. Daggers was happy with info he got.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I hadn't spotted that.  No wonder I was surprised, as I know daggers well (having exchanged many posts within the forum) and he is an old hand with knowledge developed over some time.  Mea culpa, hopefully he will forgive my misapprehension.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Having been busy, well, watching some large navvies athletes knocking lumps out of each other (6 Nations) earlier, I have just caught up with my old thread, and indeed I was very happy with what I was told in 2010, and many times since on other topics.

Daggers

Soon of course there will be a new form of 'pip' for Canadian officers called the Vimy Star  It has the same shape as the Bath Star but the Tria Iuncta in Uno and three crowns insignia  of the Order of the Bath is dropped in favour of a maple leaf. 

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Soon of course there will be a new form of 'pip' for Canadian officers called the Vimy Star  It has the same shape as the Bath Star but the Tria Iuncta in Uno and three crowns insignia  of the Order of the Bath is dropped in favour of a maple leaf. 

That's a good thing I think.  It links with heritage, but introduces a National twist.  It's sometimes forgotten that the Canadian dominion forces had long ago introduced similar measures in their dress, including special, maple leaf lace on their full dress and on the forage cap peaks of their general officers.

Edited by FROGSMILE