The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any books about Cavalry or Yeomanry?

nf3996

Can anyone recommend a short and simple book about British Cavalry or Yeomanry in the Great War, please? I'm not looking for a large in-depth study, more something along the lines of the Osprey series, with probably as many illustrations and photos as there is text.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan

'The Yeomanry Regiments' by Patrick Milham ISNB 1 898410 36 4 has a useful chapter on the Yeomanry in the Great War, there is also a section in the book providing a brief history of each Yeomanry Regiment . The book is well illustrated. There is also a useful bibliography.

'British Cavalry and Yeomanry 1914-18' by Brigadier E.A.James revised in 1970 - provides a useful resume' for each Cavalry and Yeomanry Regiment - there are no pictures in this book.

We have a number of illustrated books in the WkY Museum dealing with the deployment of the Yeomanry in the Great War - there is one well illustrated book whose title I cannot recall which is in the Museum - I will post details this Sunday.

Philip

Philip,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll be interested to see your Sunday post too.

Regards,

Alan

Alan ,

Would recommend The Diary of a World War 1 Cavalry Officer by Brigadier General Sir Archibald Home . A good read and it has many photographs , Footnotes and Index

I found Troop Horse & Trench ISBN 1-84677-068-8 by R A Lloyd an interesting read and an insight into the life of a cavalryman.

Here is that elusive title I could not recall.

'Yeomanry Wars - The History of the Yeomanry, Volunteer and Volunteer Association Cavalry : A civilian tradition from 1794' by Peter D.Athawes.

ISBN 1 898218 021 published 1994 - some good illustrations, colour plates and a decent chapter covering the Great War.

Philip

Many thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I see that my reading list is growing ever longer!

Alan

The classic reference of GW cavalry the A History of British Cavalry by the Marquess of Angelsey. It is both recent and definitive. Vols. 5-8 cover the GW on all fronts. Expesive now and I think out of print, but Inter Library loan should turn it up Incidentally - and to prevent confusion - the RA Lloyd book was originally published as A Trooper in the Tins - God knows why the more recent publisher chose to rename it. Hope this helps

Best regards

david

And of course, most of the British Regular Cavalry regiments published histories post-war. Many of these are available as relatively inexpensive reprints from Naval & Military Press. Ditto, if you're interested, the Indian Cavalry (though "many" would replace "most" in the preceding sentence)

• 1 month later...

The classic reference of GW cavalry the A History of British Cavalry by the Marquess of Angelsey. It is both recent and definitive. Vols. 5-8 cover the GW on all fronts. Expesive now and I think out of print, but Inter Library loan should turn it up Incidentally - and to prevent confusion - the RA Lloyd book was originally published as A Trooper in the Tins - God knows why the more recent publisher chose to rename it. Hope this helps

Best regards

david

Vol 1, 2 and 8 are in the Non Fiction reserve at my library so expect the others will be available.

and I have a spare Cavalry Training Manual, 1912, updated 1915.

see Classifieds.

Not any more, you haven't :thumbsup: