The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieut. Col. E Vaux

roger

Whilst re-reading the Div history of the 50th Division. I noticed the above officer. He commanded 7/DLI at the outbreak of war and little bells started ringing :rolleyes:

Was this the same E or Ernest Vaux who commanded a Maxim Gun detachment of the Northumberland Hussars as a Major during the Boer War and after which the beer Double Maxim is named?

Roger.

Roger:

Found this on a search:

gordon

* Double Maxim was first brewed in 1901 and was initially called Maxim Ale.

Its was created to celebrate the return of the Maxim Gun detachment from the Boer War.

.llllllllllllllllllllll

* Major Ernest Vaux - a member of the original brewing family - commanded the detachment which was part of the Northumberland Hussars.

* Soon after launch Maxim Ale was reduced in strength following complaints from landlords - their customers kept falling asleep!

* On 22nd July 1938. Maxim Ale was increased in strength again and renamed Double Maxim.

Gordon,

Thanks, yes I've seen the Double Maxim site which is why it rang a bell when I saw the name in the Div History.

My guess is it's the same bloke. Funnily enough I had a copy of the History of the Northumberland Hussars in my hand a couple of weeks ago but I didn't have a spare £95!

Roger.