The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Sam Sutter CEF

Desmond7

From newspaper files 1917 - Anybody tell me more. I can't find any mentions of the action for which he received the award. See below.

Pte Samuel Sutter, Canadian Contingent, son of Mr. Alex. Sutter, Queen Street, Ballymena, is at present home on leave. He was wounded a few months ago and received the Military Medal for bravery.

Any help appreciated

Des

Hi Desmond7

Veterans Affairs Canada may have the citation they go from about late 1916 to late 1917 aand a short period in 1918. I have a few from the early part. The Battalion Records are the only other source I believe.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-1-1086818427.jpg

Cheers NS - directions appreciated.

des

Hi Des

In the book, "The military Medal Canadian Recipients 1916-1922", by Harry and Cindy Abbink it shows a Pte. Sutter, S. soldiers number 460169 London Gazette date 18 July 1917.

His number is from a block of numbers allotted to the 61st Battalion, military district 10 Winnipeg. The 61st was not a front line battalion but was absorbed into the 11th reserve battalion. I don't know how you would find the unit he served in though.

Hope this helps in your search

Ron

Sam Sutter joined up in Winnipeg. The 11th (Manitoba) Reserve reinforced the 16th, 27th, and 43rd front-line infantry battalions.

All of those saw good action in March and April of 1917, particularly at Vimy. (There's about a 3 month lag between act of gallantry and the Gazette citation, right?)

Peter in Vancouver

Once again - many thanks to Canadian Crew. On the job as always! :D

Cheers from Des

Hi Des:

460169 Pte, S. Sutter, original unit 61st Battalion, theatre of service France with the 44th Battalion, demobilized July 24, 1919. He won his Military Medal as a member of the 44th Battalion.

Of course Sam Sutter was born in Ballymena. :lol: He lists his next of kin as Alex Sutter, 130 Queen Street, Ballymena. You can check his attestation papers here.

Garth

Applause, cheers, encore! Hope you got something worthwhile out of that vast script I sent over!!

Cheers to Mordac :D

Sutter had lovely handwriting ... like many of that generation.

Hope you got something worthwhile out of that vast script I sent over!!

<snip>

Sutter had lovely handwriting ...  like many of that generation.

Hi Des:

Vast is the correct word my friend. I've been chipping away at it and I'm amazed at the information you've uncovered. What are your plans for this valuable resource when you've competed your research? Or does one ever complete their research?

I agree with you on Sam Sutter's handwriting, it was a lovely script and very readable. As for my handwriting...

Garth

Hi Des:

What was the date of the newspaper article? Knowing when the story was published may provide a time frame for the MM.

Garth

Cheers Garth - August 17, 1917 for Sutter.

As for research ... the slog towards Nov. 1918 continues. But then I thought about the dedication of the war memorial. Then I thought about seeing what July 1st 1966 would throw up ... If I don't stop thinking I'll never be done.

Thanks, Des