The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Clark

Chris

Hi all.

Was given a copy of this photo by the family of the soldier, who told me his name was Thomas Clark and that he had served with the 5th Lincs, and survived the war. Clearly the isignia in the photo show that the man shown is in the Artillery. Have checked with the MIC's and have come up with a possible.

Sergt. 911 Thomas Clark - Lincolnshire Regiment Transport;

later 911 Flight Sergeant - Royal Artillery, then 801991 Flight Sergeant Royal Artillery Transport.

Can any isignia experts tell me if there are any more clues on his uniform that may confirm/refute that the Thomas Clark in the photo is the Thomas Clark i have found in the MIC's. Also any cllues as to what the Lincolnshire Regimental Transport were, and whether they may have been affiliated to the 5th Lincs at any point.

Chris

post-1-1086818318.jpg

Flight Sergeant? Very interesting rank for Great War artillery!! I suspect this has been transcribed incorrectly. Perhaps if you download the MIC and post it someone may be able to better interpret it.

The 'Regimental Transport' usually referred to the body of men attached to each infantry battalion for transport and supply duties.

Regards

Tim D

Chris,

Did the MIC say F/ SJT. or something similer?

I would guess this man is a Farrier Serjeant.

It looks like he is wearing the proficency badge of a wheeler above his rank stripes.

Either way he would be part of the transport.

Roger.

Thank you Roger and Tim, with a mixture of your intelligence and my stupidity in not realising that Flight Sergeant would be incorrect, you have just confirmed the identity of the man in the photo is the man on the MIC. Paid my £3.50 and it does show F/Sjt, but the big plus is that in civilian life before the war he was a Farrier. His MIC download also showed he arrived in France on 1st March 1915, which is within a few days of the 1/5th Lincs, so maybe he was attached to them. Would it be normal for the main body of the BAttalion to arrive before the support men, such as Clark?

Once again a big thank you Tim and Roger

Chris

Chris,

I can't help with your last question but I'm pleased everything has started come together and I'm only too glad to be of help :D

Roger.

Hi Chris,

Certainly sounds like your man. Not unusual for someone to arrive at a different time to the main body of the battalion. At times there would be an advance party who went forward to do a recce and set things in place....the main body...then A echelon (supporting troops etc.). There was no hard and fast rule as to how things were done and the decisions made in this vein often depended on available transport, the battle picture etc. It still occurs this way in the military today. Given that he was a farrier he may well have been shipped with the horses etc. and arrived after the main body.

Regards

Tim D

Once again Tim, thanks for the info regarding the possible order of movement to France, gives me something more to tell the family.

Thank you

Chris