The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The World War I Novels

Guest Terry Walbert

Guest Terry Walbert

I'd like to recommend this series of five spy novels by the British writer Anne Perry. In chronological order they are No Graves As Yet, Shoulder the Sky, Angels in the Gloom, At Some Disputed Barricade, and We Shall Not Sleep. From what I've read about the war, she seems to have done her homework on the historical background.

Not only are they exciting "page turners", but the characters reflect on the meaning of the casualties, life in a small English village during the war, the British class system, and social changes in England caused by the war. I found her descriptions of trench life compelling.

Besides entertainment value, historical fiction and movies can stimulate your imagination to recreate in a world that once existed. Reading these novels has motivated me to find out more about the Great War, especially the life of soldiers on the western front.

I concur- thoroughly enjoyed these over the summer holidays. I know some people are a bit sniffy about novels but I usually come across something that sends me off on a factual tangent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have read these books, and cand. I can highly recommend them. I can honestly say that they are the best novels i have read on WW1. Very well researched, the lady has done credit to WW1 .

Regards frances

I've read a couple of the books which I enjoyed. Try a 'google' on the author, who has had a colourful life herself!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There was a previous discussion on the Forum about the Anne Perry books, they were described as "enjoyable hokum, with pretty preposterous plots" but enjoyable!