The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Enlistment and Army Reserve (but different)

SPotter

Gents,

I posted this query to the Topica (ex OMRS) Discussion Group a while back, but got no response. Perhaps this is an indication of how well this Forum is doing, in the same way that eBay certainly seems to be taking over from Speedbid, but that's another thread!

Basically my question followed on from an article in a recent OMRS Journal. A soldier returned to the UK on completion of his Colour Service and was placed on the Army Reserve. Civvy street seemed not to appeal to him as within days he had re-enlisted in the Army, but into another Regiment. This was prior to WW1 so there was no pressing need for men, nor were Reservists being recalled to the colours as was the case for the Boer War.

I was surprised that this practise was permitted, as he was now basically lost from the supposed 'pool' of men on the Reserve who would be required to bring his original Regiment up to war establishment on mobilisition. Although obviously not lost to the Army itself, surely his original Battalion would not be too pleased to see their Reservists disappearing like this?

I would have thought that it would have been simpler to have requested to complete another Term of Engagement. However, as he had been in India a good number of years, perhaps this was the only way of getting home for a bit? It would have been bad luck if his new Battn had been posted off to India shortly after his joining it though, particulalrly if they relieved his old one!

From papers I have copied it appears that COs had to give their approval for a man to extend his period of service to complete either 12 or 21 years Colour Service. Does anyone know whether this was more likely to be given or refused. I imagine some might have been glad of the chance to be rid of a troublesome soldier.

Presumably there was some sort of agreement between the State and civilian employers to hold open the jobs of Reservists in their employ in the event of their being recalled for Colour Service?

Lots of questions, but hopefully straightforward answers?

Steve