The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Postcards

trenchtrotter

36 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I know nothing of this.

Seems to meet publishable criteria.

Finger trouble perhaps.

Thank you for your reply, I’ve been puzzled by it and the absence of any explanation.

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you for your reply, I’ve been puzzled by it and the absence of any explanation.

I doubt we shall ever know: "soldier on John, pig's gone!" as they say.

It was locked fir Maintenence.

Edited by Gardenerbill

33 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Pity about the spell checks.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Thank you, I’ve not come across that before.  Maintenance of just that one thread? It seems exceedingly odd.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

It is one of the biggest if not the biggest topic on the forum. So there may be some things that can be done to reduce it's size without compromising the content.

37 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

It is one of the biggest if not the biggest topic on the forum. So there may be some things that can be done to reduce it's size without compromising the content.

My understanding is that only Moderators can take such action. Please explain, Moderators, how Gardenerbill has access to such knowledge.

Meanwhile, why is the thread in stasis?

• Admin
7 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Please explain, Moderators, how Gardenerbill has access to such knowledge.

As has been advised on many occasions the administrators have a limited number of tools available to maintain the GWF.

And as @Gardenerbill has noted it is common IT practice to close a site for maintenance.

No doubt members have visited sites, from multi national companies to one man band, and received the message 'Down for maintenance Please come back later'. In this instance it was a single thread

On this occasion we were concerned as a large number of images taken from Ancestry and of no relevance to the original intention of this massive thread (see post 1) were being posted in a flood with no attribution in breach of the Forum Rules on Copyright. It was therefore considered prudent to lock the thread whilst this issue was addressed.

It would be inconsistent to allow further posts whilst this action was taking place.

Perhaps in simple terms if a car is taken in for service it is not available for use by the owner until faults have been rectified.  On completion of the relevant actions it is returned to the owner who can happily drive it away into the sunset.

Thanks from me.  That all makes complete sense and clears things up. 

Dear Mods,

I have always thought that you were a great bunch, doing an arduous job, while minor contributors such as myself have all the Fun!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 05/08/2017 at 21:54, GWF1967 said:

Thomas Blackett. B. Ryhope. Durham 1896.

Enlisted. Sunderland. (Pony Driver. Coal Pit).

Pte. 14111. 7th Green Howards.

KiA. Fricourt. 1/7/1916.  Cpl. 14111. 7th Green Howards.

Believed buried. Fricourt Cemetery.

Scan_20170805 (2).jpg

Hi @GWF1967

Do you still have this postcard? Thomas Blackett was my Great Great Uncle.

Best wishes,

Will

Actually, the "posted in a flood" bit resonates with me - I drop in as and when I can, and lately it's been a bit of a chore to trawl through pages of postcards every time I get on here; I enjoy doing a little digging around topics or men as the mood takes me, but I haven't really felt like doing so as nobody wants the thread dragged back to a few pages ago. Water under the bridge an all that. So, I was glad of the breather, frankly.

Should say, this in no way applies to Will Blackett's post immediately above this one! I wish you well in your search, Will.

Cheers, Pat

On 02/07/2024 at 12:12, WBlackett said:

Hi @GWF1967

Do you still have this postcard? Thomas Blackett was my Great Great Uncle.

Best wishes,

Will

Hi Will,

I do indeed, but I’m away at Glastonbury with work at the moment, and it’ll take some digging to find the original image once I return.  
 I’m glad you found my post.  
 I’ll message you once I track it down.  

4 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Will,

I do indeed, but I’m away at Glastonbury with work at the moment, and it’ll take some digging to find the original image once I return.  
 I’m glad you found my post.  
 I’ll message you once I track it down.  

Thanks,

Enjoy Glastonbury.

Best wishes,

Will

15 minutes ago, WBlackett said:

Enjoy Glastonbury.

Best wishes,

Will

Not something I “enjoy”. 

I avoid the festival itself - I put up marquees, run away for two weeks, then come to remove them from the chaos 250,000 people leave behind them.  

On 30/06/2024 at 10:21, Muerrisch said:

My understanding is that only Moderators can take such action. Please explain, Moderators, how Gardenerbill has access to such knowledge.

Perhaps over legal worries as it has become full of images from ancestry and not peoples own images?

On 27/06/2024 at 11:08, tankengine888 said:

Wiltshire Regiment Shooting team postwar

06466729-4cab-4ae6-89da-db6b31397456.jpeg.41722115821763d3927355404a17382f.jpeg

Just bringing this one back to the top if I may......

A distinguished lot, at least two DCM's, an MC and if I'm not mistaken the chap sat to the right of the officer holding the cap has a VC or a DCM and bar?

Cheers
RC

Edited by RedCoat

15 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

A distinguished lot, at least two DCM's, an MC and if I'm not mistaken the chap sat to the right of the officer holding the cap has a VC or a DCM and bar?

Cheers
RC

Back Row middle- DCM (probably), a Star aswell

Front row, 1st left - Star and BWM
Front row, 2nd left - MC and Star
Front row, centre - DSO (probably), Star, BWM?
Front row, 2nd right - DCM and Bar, Star (He was an American, won a DCM and Bar during the war.. 4 wounds too)
Front row, 1st right -DCM, Star

That's what I think. 

And no marksman I think. Curious. MaY be just after war and Classification in abeyance

WOs and officers could not qualify to wear it, nevertheless .........

I seem to recall WO could qualify later but not my period.

Edited by Muerrisch

1 hour ago, tankengine888 said:

Back Row middle- DCM (probably), a Star aswell

Front row, 1st left - Star and BWM
Front row, 2nd left - MC and Star
Front row, centre - DSO (probably), Star, BWM?
Front row, 2nd right - DCM and Bar, Star (He was an American, won a DCM and Bar during the war.. 4 wounds too)
Front row, 1st right -DCM, Star

That's what I think. 

Front row, 1st left - Star and BWM - I suspect it's an Army LSGC, not a BWM.

Do you have the DCM and Bar winners name?

1 minute ago, RedCoat said:

Front row, 1st left - Star and BWM - I suspect it's an Army LSGC, not a BWM.

Do you have the DCM and Bar winners name?

Yes I did a bit of guessing here and there..

The DCM and Bar fellow was the 'main' person in the image, but I have since forgotten his name. I'll do a search and get back to you tomorrow

3 hours ago, RedCoat said:

Cheers
RC

I would date the photo to early 1919 and before the introduction of the BWM (July 1919) and the VM (September 1919) going by the lack of any ribbons on several of these clearly senior soldiers.     Pete.

The marksman badge had to be requalified annually, but was this maintained during the war? .....................  certainly the badge was worn throughout.

The very believable idea that the photo is of a successful musketry competition team is inescapable, so the absence of badges is [and will remain] puzzling to me.

The photo shows no overseas chevrons and no BWM or VM so is exactly dateable. 

Edited by Muerrisch