The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Postcards

trenchtrotter

46 minutes ago, max7474 said:

The claim of a WW2 all brass cap badge is odd because there is no record of any all brass economy cap badge for any regiment in any other publication or record I have ever seen.  Likewise I have never seen an example of an all brass Welch regt cap badge.

No I’ve never seen one either.  I think it’s an error.  I found one or two more details that I know to be incorrect but that’s to be expected in such a large compilation of old records.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

Aodh,

Yes, the whole scene seems like it is a staged publicity event or a training exercise.

Mike

The “rapid fire section” was a tactical initiative taught by the School of Musketry intended to compensate for the limited number of battalion machine guns at the time, and passed on to the associated Canadian school** so that there was singing off the same hymn sheet.

** and other Dominions/Unions Schools.  The relationship with Canada’s school was especially strong as it was the closest geographically and because Canada always went to great lengths to send a team to compete in the annual competition at Bisley, frequently performing in the top tier. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hope these scans upload ok; a few postcard images of the North Devon Hussars in Barnstaple and the Exmoor area just before the Great War...

IMG-20240727-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240727-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240727-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240727-WA0005.jpg

45 minutes ago, Petroc said:

Hope these scans upload ok; a few postcard images of the North Devon Hussars in Barnstaple and the Exmoor area just before the Great War...

Such a great set of pictures. As I've always said, the TF were the original 'Pals' and you can see it in these pictures.

2 hours ago, Petroc said:

IMG-20240727-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240727-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240727-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20240727-WA0005.jpg

Great photos.  I think they’re wearing the Imperial Yeomanry pattern service dress that was replaced by the universal 1902 type not long after the photos were taken.  As hussars they’re wearing ball [shaped] buttons.  It’s also notable for the prevalence of leather gaiters prior to the changeover to puttees.

The Acting-Sergeant-Major, who was an attached headquarters staff sergeant from the Regular Army, is visible in two of the scenes.  He can be identified by four inverted stripes with crown above on his forearms.  Although the resolution isn’t perfect I think some medal ribbons can just about be discerned on the breast of his jacket. 

IMG_5797.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Great photos.  I think they’re wearing the Imperial Yeomanry pattern service dress that was replaced by the universal 1902 type not long after the photos were taken.  As hussars they’re wearing ball [shaped] buttons.  It’s also notable for the prevalence of leather gaiters prior to the changeover to puttees.

The Acting-Sergeant-Major, who was an attached headquarters staff sergeant from the Regular Army, is visible in two of the scenes.  He can be identified by four inverted stripes with crown above on his forearms.  Although the resolution isn’t perfect I think some medal ribbons can just about be discerned on the breast of his jacket. 

IMG_5797.jpeg

here is one arm badge to the Scout come from the battle field :

claireur-avecunecroix(1stclass)-sanscroix(2ndclass).JPG.8cb7d5476cb96e20e6f5c8d3d7039e17.JPG

regards

michel

Nothng to do with this thread but I promised a photo of a TF man wearing stars while in France.

DSC05458.JPG.9815301bcf4febf54eba27213b6ac105.JPGDSC05460.JPG.8093f90d297ddc744fc2311dfdb487f6.JPG

10 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Nothng to do with this thread but I promised a photo of a TF man wearing stars while in France.

DSC05458.JPG.9815301bcf4febf54eba27213b6ac105.JPGDSC05460.JPG.8093f90d297ddc744fc2311dfdb487f6.JPG

Great photo and very rare.  Thank you for sharing it.   @Muerrisch will I know be interested to see it.

27 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

here is one arm badge to the Scout come from the battle field :

claireur-avecunecroix(1stclass)-sanscroix(2ndclass).JPG.8cb7d5476cb96e20e6f5c8d3d7039e17.JPG

regards

michel

Thank you Michel, it’s always good to see your battlefield finds with their indisputable provenance.

this arm badge come from the french flanders.

michel

image.jpeg.a9f71d12dd87b0d381750f4d26b28ca5.jpeg

T-6-Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Royal Welsh Fusiliers Territorial with Imperial Service Tablet and a cap cover. Photo by Seaman, 31 High St. & 41 St Botolph's St. Colchester.

Scans. 1.2pg.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Two Lance Corporals of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 

Brown. Photographer. Weston S. Mare

Scans. 1.3jpg.jpg

Royal Welsh Fusiliers at camp. 

Scans. 1.jpg

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers at camp. 

Scans. 1.jpg

Super images, you seem to have a substantial collection of RWF photos.  Thank you for sharing them.  This last one has the appearance of a sergeant either calling the roll, or telling off soldiers to duty, or perhaps to a specific training activity at bounty-earning annual camp.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Super images, you seem to have a substantial collection of RWF photos.  Thank you for sharing them.  This last one has the appearance of a sergeant, either calling the roll, or telling off soldiers to duty, or perhaps a specific training activity at bounty earning annual camp.  

It is the first time in a while that I have seen the webbing straps hanging below the ammunition pouches.

Almost that it was as a trend in the early days, then they were tucked in or other?

Or I have not noticed it before?

Looking at pictures sends the mind somewhere else at times, thinking one has seen it before but not.

8 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

It is the first time in a while that I have seen the webbing straps hanging below the ammunition pouches.

Almost that it was as a trend in the early days, then they were tucked in or other?

Or I have not noticed it before?

Looking at pictures sends the mind somewhere else at times, thinking one has seen it before but not.

Early days before they became familiar with the equipment.  Once more experienced and with the right instruction the brace straps were attached in front to other parts of the equipment (e.g. canteens, haversack [aka small pack] and entrenching tool).  See images.

Images in public domain via proprietary internet search engine.

IMG_5816.jpeg

IMG_5815.jpeg

IMG_5817.jpeg

IMG_5819.jpeg

IMG_5818.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
16 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Early days before they became familiar with the equipment.  Once more experienced and with the right instruction the brace straps were shortened in front with the excess at the rear instead, where it was more tidily arranged. 

Thank you @GWF1967 for sharing your postcards with us and to you FROGSMILE for your help in the descriptions of the equipment.

22 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thank you @GWF1967 for sharing your postcards with us and to you FROGSMILE for your help in the descriptions of the equipment.

The images show quite well how the ends of the straps were fitted to the ancillary items I think Bob.  The equipment could be worn in a variety of ways, each described as an ‘order’ of dress as you might be aware.  Marching Order was the full works.  Then there was Fighting Order (i.e. Field Day Order + plus first line ammunition), Musketry Order (less the small pack and entrenching tool) and Guard Order (ammunition pouches and water canteen only).

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers Territorial with Imperial Service Tablet and a cap cover. Photo by Seaman, 31 High St. & 41 St Botolph's St. Colchester.

Scans. 1.2pg.jpg

Also interesting to see two chinstraps being worn on the cap - not so unusual to see on ASC drivers or mounted men, but not so common in ordinary infantry use.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Super images, you seem to have a substantial collection of RWF photos.  Thank you for sharing them.  This last one has the appearance of a sergeant, either calling the roll, or telling off soldiers to duty, or perhaps a specific training activity at bounty earning annual camp.  

Thanks as always for your observations Frogsmile.

5 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Also interesting to see two chinstraps being worn on the cap - not so unusual to see on ASC drivers or mounted men, but not so common in ordinary infantry use.

Here's another.

"158 T.M.Bty.  Andrews, Badham, Evans.W"

Pte. Leonard Percy Badham.  4159 1st Herefordshire Regiment,   88197.  5th - 5/6th. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  Posed in front of a  plentiful supply of beer.

image.jpeg.fb54104d85404d6ee0a0c313e14c7837.jpeg

17 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Here's another.

"158 T.M.Bty.  Andrews, Badham, Evans.W"

Pte. Leonard Percy Badham.  4159 1st Herefordshire Regiment,   88197.  5th - 5/6th. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  Posed in front of a  plentiful supply of beer.

image.jpeg.fb54104d85404d6ee0a0c313e14c7837.jpeg

Super image and with the unusual feature of a much larger than usual brass grenade arm badge to distinguish a trench mortarman worn by the soldier wearing a fez far right.  Normally a small brass universal grenade was used if metal, and a woven worsted type in coloured threads if cloth.  I’ve not seen the type shown before.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 09/08/2024 at 20:54, gordon92 said:

Aodh,

Yes, the whole scene seems like it is a staged publicity event or a training exercise.

Mike

Yes, it definitely has that appearance. Possibly for public view to show readiness for the war, though I have not found a mention of such an event in the contemporary newspapers. There was a mock attack on the City of Halifax involving the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment ans HMCS Niobe on 25/09/1914, which I suppose might have involved local militia, though I have not seen a mention of them.