The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Postcards

trenchtrotter

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The 18th were 2nd Line London Welsh so he probably started there before being sent in a draft of reinforcements to the 1st Line 15th.  Perhaps the different number was associated with that, the service battalions had some oddities in their early days when the systems were struggling to cope with influx.

In this case viewing the actual documents show it to be a simple transcription error.  

His surviving service papers show the photograph was taken a month after his appointment as a L/Cpl, and two weeks before his promotion to Cpl.

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

In this case viewing the actual documents show it to be a simple transcription error.  

Ostensibly it seems an extraordinary coincidence then that both battalions, 15th and 18th were London Welsh, but perhaps the exact same clerk was dealing with the records of both battalions.

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Perhaps forum member @PRC can help.

Looks like Clapham has been sorted, but I couldn't resist taking a look at something a bit harder :)

13 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

24th April 1916.  -   To  "Miss Gwladys Jones Lewis, Neuadd Afon, Bangor"

So be warned – what follows could be a whole shoal of red herrings :)

Having been caught out by the flexibility of Welsh place names in the past I tried first of all a google search for Neuadd Afon, Bangor. A part from matches for a part of the campus of the University of Bangor in Caernarvonshire, it seems that the internet was much happier to give me matches for a Neuadd Ogwen, Afon.

But a search for a G(wildcard) Lewis in the Neuadd Afron or Neuadd Ogwen area failed to turn up any matches on the genealogy sites I use – in fact the locations didn’t seem to be turning up anything in the birth and census, (pre-war and postwar) records.

But open the search up to Bangor and there is a possible.

The birth of a Gwladys JANE Lewis was registered with the civil authorities in the Bangor civil registration district in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1890. That is how the middle name appears on both the quarterly index of births and the GRO’s own website. Mothers’ maiden name was Williams.

On the 1891 Census of England & Wales there is a 6 month old Gwladys J. Lewis, born  Llanllcelid, Carnarvonshire who was recorded in one of the houses on Lon ddwr, Llanllcelid. This was the household of her parents, Owen, (28, Millers Labour, born Llangoed, Anglesey) and Grace, (29, born Llanllcelid). The couple also have a 3 year old son William S, born Llanllcelid.

By the time of the 1901 Census of England & Wales the family have moved in with Gwladys’ maternal gradfather, the 66 year old widower William Williams,  a General Labourer, born Llanllcelid. I wouldn’t want to read read to much into it, but while the relationship of the 39 year olf Grace Lewis to William is shown as daughter, that of Owen Lewis, (36, General Labourer), is shown as Boarder. Both have the status of being married individuals. To add to the complexity there is a 13 year old William Seth Lewis shown completing the household, but his relationship to William is shown as Nephew, while Gwladys is shown as Grand-daughter. They were all still living at Lon ddwr, Llanllcelid.

And on the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 20 year old GLADYS Lewis, single and born Llanllceld, was recorded living along with her mother Grace Lewis, (49) and grandfather William Williams, (75, Builders Labourer) at 4 Londdwr Talbont, Bangor according to the census return – the enumerator summary gives the addess as Londdwr Taly Bont Llanlleclid.

The marriage of a GLADYS J. Lewis to a Philip Hext was recorded in the Bangor District of Caernarvonshire in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1918.
A dataset Caernarvonshire Parish Registers on the familysearch website records the marriage of a 28 year old GLADYS JANE Lewis to a 41 year old Philip Hext took place at Bangor on the 20th May 1918. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC23-621
The same dataset is shown as being available on FindMyPast. If it includes an image of the Parish Register then may confirm that Philip was serving and his maritial status and who the father of Gladys was.

On the 1921 Census of England & Wales there is a household recorded in the parish of Bettws, Llanilofawr that consisted of:-
Philip Hext, born Ilminster, Somerset c1878
Gladys Jane Hext, born Carmarthenshire, c1890
Albert Edward hext, born Ilminster, Somerset c1902
More details available with subscription access.

Turning to Philip there is potential match in a Medal Index card for 13247 Private 13247 PHILLIP Hext, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He was subsequently 90388 Private, Royal Defence Corps.

While serving with the 9th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers in France & Flanders he would win the Military Medal. London Gazette from the record card is difficult to male out but looks like the 3rd June 1916. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6172779

I wonder if @Ivor Anderson has had cause to research him?

FMP have what is probably one of their one-pagers under P. Hext with his Royal Welsh Fusiliers service numbers. They have nothing other than service medal records under the Royal Defence Corps reference.

Fold3 are showing a Pension Ledger card indexed for him quoting service numbers 13247 / 489906 / 62176 / 90388. If there are address detail on the actual document then might help to establish the connection with the man in the civil records.

These newspaper articles from the end of 1915 probably relate to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers man and may help to confirm or deny that I’m on the right trail.

PhllipHext1915BNAscreenshote280824.png.fcd9ddcce94c6edfd86906b806688d34.pngImage courtesy FindMyPast

Looking at his trail in the civil records – the birth of a PHILIP Hext was registered in the Chard District of Somerset in the July to September quarter, (Q3), 1877. Mothers’ maiden name was Pitman.

The baptism of a PHILIP Hext took place at Stocklynch Ottersey, Somerset, on the 7th September 1877. His parents were Anthony, a gardener, and Matilda. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6D9D-5RM4

The area covered by the Chard Civil Registration District included the civil parish of “Stocklinch” Ottersey at that time. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/chard.html

On the 1881 Census of England & Wales there is a 3 year old PHILIP Hext, born Stocklinch Ottersey who was recorded living in that village in the household of his parents Anthony, (37, Labourer, born Stocklinch) and Matilda, (40, born Othery, Somerset). The couple have three older children, all born Stocklinch.

The source I’m using for the 1891 Census of England & Wales have transcribed the family surname as “Hest” and records them living at the Road, Stocklinch. Along with parents Anthony, (47, Agricultural Labourer) and Matilda, (50) there were two sons, Thomas, (22) and the 13 year old PHILIP, both recorded as born Stocklinch and working as Agricultual Labourers.

The marriage of a Philip Hext to an Emma Brice was recorded in the Chard District in Q2 1899.

•    The birth of an Anthony John Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q3 1899.
•    The birth of a William Charles John Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q4 1900.

In transcribing the 1901 Census of England & Wales the family surname is now down incorrectly as “Hent”. PHILIP, aged 23 and a carter on farm, born Stocklinch, was recorded living in the household of his unmarried brother Thomas, (30, a Hay and Straw Dealer), at Stocklinch. Philip was now recorded as married and living with them is Philip’s wife, (described as Thomas’s sister in law) Emma, (28, born Allowenshay, Somerset) and what are probably Philip and Emma’s two children, described as Thomas’s nephews. These were Anthony J., 1 and a half, born Dowlish Wake, Somerset and the 5 month old William C., born Stocklinch.

•    The birth of an Albert Edward Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q3 1902 – probably the young man living with Philip and Gladys on the 1921 Census.
•    The birth of a Grace Matilda Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q2 1904.
•    The birth of a Philip Thomas Hext, morthers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q1 1908.

The death of an Emma Hext, aged 36, was recorded in the Taunton District of Somerset in Q2 1910.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 33 year old widower PHILIP, a Labourer for a Hay & Straw Dealer born Stocklinch, Somerset, was recorded as a boarder at Horton, Ilminster, Somerset.The latest mistrancription of the surname on the sources I’m working from is “Hert”.

FMP have some newspaper hints of him being taken to court for not ensuring his children attended school - visible if I'd like to subscribe! - but I could not find them indexed on the British Newspaper Archive.

Children Albert, 8, Grace “8” and Philip, 3, all born Stocklinch, were recorded in the workhouse at Sunnylands, Chard on the same Census.

Going forwards it doesn’t look like Philip and Gladys had any children of their own – at least as far as the civil birth records for England & Wales are concerned.

The 1939 Register has a PHILLIP Hext, born 1877 recorded at 4 High Street, Garnant, Cwmamamman. At the same addess was a Gladys Jane Hext, born 1890. There may be other recorded at the same address – that would be revealed by subscription access to FindMyPast or Ancestry.

The death of a GWLADYS J. Hext, aged 60, was recorded in the Carmarthen District in Q4 1950. No obvious Probate Calendar entry.

The death of a PHILLIP Hext, aged 79, was recorded in the Llanelly District of Carmarthenshire in Q4 1956. The 1956 Probate Calendar has a PHILIP Hext of 19 High Street, Glanamman, Carmarthenshire, who died on the 16th October 1956 at Bryntirion Hospital, Llanelly. Probate was granted to John Phillips, sub-postmaster and George Tracey Phillips, solictor.

So based on those civil and  military records it looks like Philip\Phillip and Gwladys\ Gladys were used interchangeably.

I think I’ve good reason to believe that the woman being written to on the postcard was the future Mrs Hext. Whether the soldier in the picture is Philip is still up for grabs although I believe the MM winning Royal Welsh Fusiliers was the Stocklinch born man. If the picture is of him then before the formal award of the MM - I’m assuming that’s a blemish on the picture rather than some kind of medal ribband. That would make him about 37/38.

Cheers,
Peter

52 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Ostensibly it seems an extraordinary coincidence then that both battalions, 15th and 18th were London Welsh, but perhaps the exact same clerk was dealing with the records of both battalions.

The error was on the part of Find My Past - not the military.

30 minutes ago, PRC said:

Looks like Clapham has been sorted, but I couldn't resist taking a look at something a bit harder :)

Having been caught out by the flexibility of Welsh place names in the past I tried first of all a google search for Neuadd Afon, Bangor. A part from matches for a part of the campus of the University of Bangor in Caernarvonshire, it seems that the internet was much happier to give me matches for a Neuadd Ogwen, Afon.

But a search for a G(wildcard) Lewis in the Neuadd Afron or Neuadd Ogwen area failed to turn up any matches on the genealogy sites I use – in fact the locations didn’t seem to be turning up anything in the birth and census, (pre-war and postwar) records.

The birth of a Gwladys JANE Lewis was registered with the civil authorities in the Bangor civil registration district in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1890. That is how the middle name appears on both the quarterly index of births and the GRO’s own website. Mothers’ maiden name was Williams.

On the 1891 Census of England & Wales there is a 6 month old Gwladys J. Lewis, born  Llanllcelid, Carnarvonshire who was recorded in one of the houses on Lon ddwr, Llanllcelid. This was the household of her parents, Owen, (28, Millers Labour, born Llangoed, Anglesey) and Grace, (29, born Llanllcelid). The couple also have a 3 year old son William S, born Llanllcelid.

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you Peter,

I'm glad you couldn't resist.   

47 minutes ago, PRC said:

By the time of the 1901 Census of England & Wales the family have moved in with Gwladys’ maternal gradfather, the 66 year old widower William Williams,  a General Labourer, born Llanllcelid. I wouldn’t want to read read to much into it, but while the relationship of the 39 year olf Grace Lewis to William is shown as daughter, that of Owen Lewis, (36, General Labourer), is shown as Boarder. Both have the status of being married individuals. To add to the complexity there is a 13 year old William Seth Lewis shown completing the household, but his relationship to William is shown as Nephew, while Gwladys is shown as Grand-daughter. They were all still living at Lon ddwr, Llanllcelid.

And on the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 20 year old GLADYS Lewis, single and born Llanllceld, was recorded living along with her mother Grace Lewis, (49) and grandfather William Williams, (75, Builders Labourer) at 4 Londdwr Talbont, Bangor according to the census return – the enumerator summary gives the addess as Londdwr Taly Bont Llanlleclid.

The marriage of a GLADYS J. Lewis to a Philip Hext was recorded in the Bangor District of Caernarvonshire in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1918.
A dataset Caernarvonshire Parish Registers on the familysearch website records the marriage of a 28 year old GLADYS JANE Lewis to a 41 year old Philip Hext took place at Bangor on the 20th May 1918. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC23-621
The same dataset is shown as being available on FindMyPast. If it includes an image of the Parish Register then may confirm that Philip was serving and his maritial status and who the father of Gladys was.

On the 1921 Census of England & Wales there is a household recorded in the parish of Bettws, Llanilofawr that consisted of:-
Philip Hext, born Ilminster, Somerset c1878
Gladys Jane Hext, born Carmarthenshire, c1890
Albert Edward hext, born Ilminster, Somerset c1902
More details available with subscription access.

Turning to Philip there is potential match in a Medal Index card for 13247 Private 13247 PHILLIP Hext, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He was subsequently 90388 Private, Royal Defence Corps.

While serving with the 9th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers in France & Flanders he would win the Military Medal. London Gazette from the record card is difficult to male out but looks like the 3rd June 1916. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6172779

I wonder if @Ivor Anderson has had cause to research him?

FMP have what is probably one of their one-pagers under P. Hext with his Royal Welsh Fusiliers service numbers. They have nothing other than service medal records under the Royal Defence Corps reference.

Fold3 are showing a Pension Ledger card indexed for him quoting service numbers 13247 / 489906 / 62176 / 90388. If there are address detail on the actual document then might help to establish the connection with the man in the civil records.

These newspaper articles from the end of 1915 probably relate to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers man and may help to confirm or deny that I’m on the right trail.

PhllipHext1915BNAscreenshote280824.png.fcd9ddcce94c6edfd86906b806688d34.pngImage courtesy FindMyPast

Looking at his trail in the civil records – the birth of a PHILIP Hext was registered in the Chard District of Somerset in the July to September quarter, (Q3), 1877. Mothers’ maiden name was Pitman.

The baptism of a PHILIP Hext took place at Stocklynch Ottersey, Somerset, on the 7th September 1877. His parents were Anthony, a gardener, and Matilda. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6D9D-5RM4

The area covered by the Chard Civil Registration District included the civil parish of “Stocklinch” Ottersey at that time. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/chard.html

On the 1881 Census of England & Wales there is a 3 year old PHILIP Hext, born Stocklinch Ottersey who was recorded living in that village in the household of his parents Anthony, (37, Labourer, born Stocklinch) and Matilda, (40, born Othery, Somerset). The couple have three older children, all born Stocklinch.

The source I’m using for the 1891 Census of England & Wales have transcribed the family surname as “Hest” and records them living at the Road, Stocklinch. Along with parents Anthony, (47, Agricultural Labourer) and Matilda, (50) there were two sons, Thomas, (22) and the 13 year old PHILIP, both recorded as born Stocklinch and working as Agricultual Labourers.

The marriage of a Philip Hext to an Emma Brice was recorded in the Chard District in Q2 1899.

•    The birth of an Anthony John Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q3 1899.
•    The birth of a William Charles John Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q4 1900.

In transcribing the 1901 Census of England & Wales the family surname is now down incorrectly as “Hent”. PHILIP, aged 23 and a carter on farm, born Stocklinch, was recorded living in the household of his unmarried brother Thomas, (30, a Hay and Straw Dealer), at Stocklinch. Philip was now recorded as married and living with them is Philip’s wife, (described as Thomas’s sister in law) Emma, (28, born Allowenshay, Somerset) and what are probably Philip and Emma’s two children, described as Thomas’s nephews. These were Anthony J., 1 and a half, born Dowlish Wake, Somerset and the 5 month old William C., born Stocklinch.

•    The birth of an Albert Edward Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q3 1902 – probably the young man living with Philip and Gladys on the 1921 Census.
•    The birth of a Grace Matilda Hext, mothers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q2 1904.
•    The birth of a Philip Thomas Hext, morthers’ maiden name Brice, was registered with the civil authorities in the Chard District in Q1 1908.

The death of an Emma Hext, aged 36, was recorded in the Taunton District of Somerset in Q2 1910.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 33 year old widower PHILIP, a Labourer for a Hay & Straw Dealer born Stocklinch, Somerset, was recorded as a boarder at Horton, Ilminster, Somerset.The latest mistrancription of the surname on the sources I’m working from is “Hert”.

FMP have some newspaper hints of him being taken to court for not ensuring his children attended school - visible if I'd like to subscribe! - but I could not find them indexed on the British Newspaper Archive.

Children Albert, 8, Grace “8” and Philip, 3, all born Stocklinch, were recorded in the workhouse at Sunnylands, Chard on the same Census.

Going forwards it doesn’t look like Philip and Gladys had any children of their own – at least as far as the civil birth records for England & Wales are concerned.

The 1939 Register has a PHILLIP Hext, born 1877 recorded at 4 High Street, Garnant, Cwmamamman. At the same addess was a Gladys Jane Hext, born 1890. There may be other recorded at the same address – that would be revealed by subscription access to FindMyPast or Ancestry.

The death of a GWLADYS J. Hext, aged 60, was recorded in the Carmarthen District in Q4 1950. No obvious Probate Calendar entry.

The death of a PHILLIP Hext, aged 79, was recorded in the Llanelly District of Carmarthenshire in Q4 1956. The 1956 Probate Calendar has a PHILIP Hext of 19 High Street, Glanamman, Carmarthenshire, who died on the 16th October 1956 at Bryntirion Hospital, Llanelly. Probate was granted to John Phillips, sub-postmaster and George Tracey Phillips, solictor.

So based on those civil and  military records it looks like Philip\Phillip and Gwladys\ Gladys were used interchangeably.

I think I’ve good reason to believe that the woman being written to on the postcard was the future Mrs Hext. Whether the soldier in the picture is Philip is still up for grabs although I believe the MM winning Royal Welsh Fusiliers was the Stocklinch born man. If the picture is of him then before the formal award of the MM - I’m assuming that’s a blemish on the picture rather than some kind of medal ribband. That would make him about 37/38.

Cheers,
Peter

Blimey Peter - I hadn’t meant to volunteer you for the guardroom!  Delivered in your inimitable style as always.  Thanks for responding.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers ?

The guy on the far left looks odd

pow camp frimley ww1 pc.jpg

pow camp frimley hat ww1.jpg

Yes he’s dressed very eccentrically isn’t he.

I think that they’re a company of National Reserve (formerly’Veterans Reserve’) from a TF Supernumerary Home Service Company, who were often given the PW task early in the war.  They were all time-served men.  As such some at least of the cap badges should be recognisable if the photo was a little better quality.  In 1917 they became (were absorbed by) the Royal Defence Corps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 26/07/2024 at 23:27, GWF1967 said:

Rear row, second from right -  Percival Frederick Soper.  B.1885 Southampton.

Pte. 2407  2/5th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, Territorial Force.  25th September 1914, Shrewton, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire. 

He must have signed for overseas service with 1/5th Battalion, and left for India in October; Renumbered as 240844.  

T-5-Hants shoulder titles, Marksman and 1st Class Scout badge on display.

Percy Soper.jpg

That would be at Bustard Camp, where the 2/5th were from September to October 8 or 9, 1914. I think that the battalion might have been formed there, presumably after recruitment in south Hampshire.

5 hours ago, Moonraker said:

That would be at Bustard Camp, where the 2/5th were from September to October 8 or 9, 1914. I think that the battalion might have been formed there, presumably after recruitment in south Hampshire.

Many thanks Mr. M. 

image.jpeg.2d72112795dc2ab2d24af9f1c995d7aa.jpeg

C. Company, 3rd (Reserve) Garrison Battalion. 

Lt. Colonel Charles Edward Willes B.1870.   

Passed Royal Military College. Jan,1889.    Lt. 1891. Peshawar.   Capt. 1896. "Distinguished in Fortifications".   Musketry Course. Hythe 1898. 

France.  Dec.1915,  13th  Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  T/Lt. Col. 38th Division.  Assistant Adjutant & Quartermaster General. 

MID.  (L.G. 4/1/1917) -  T/Lt. Col.  Reserve of Officers. Staff.

Later Lt. Col. 3rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 

Major Archibald Sidney Campbell.  B.1876.

Pre-War Civil Engineer.   

T/Lt. "Whilst employed at bombing school" (L.G. 19/4/1916).     France.  24/1/1917 - Gen. List.    T/Lt. (T/Maj). A.S. Campbell O.B.E. 7/9/1918.  (L.G. 25/3/1919)

London County Council Record of Service.   Maj. Archibald Sydney Campbell O.B.E.  MID- 3rd Army, 17th Corps, and Eastern Command Bombing School.  Chief Engineers Department.

France. 2 years 1 month. 

The photograph is by Horgan Bros. Friar Street, Youghal, Cork Ireland.  The 3rd (Reserve) moved there in November 1917.

Edited by GWF1967

4 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

image.jpeg.2d72112795dc2ab2d24af9f1c995d7aa.jpeg

Lt. Colonel Charles Edward Milles. B.1870.   

Passed Royal Military College. Jan,1889.    Lt. 1891. Peshawar.   Capt. 1896. "Distinguished in Fortifications".   Musketry Course. Hythe 1898. 

France.  Dec.1915,  13th  Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  T/Lt. Col. 38th Division.  Assistant Adjutant & Quartermaster General. 

MID.  (L.G. 4/1/1917) -  T/Lt. Col.  Reserve of Officers. Staff.

Later Lt. Col. 3rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 

Major Archibald Sidney Campbell.  B.1876.

Pre-War Civil Engineer.   

T/Lt. "Whilst employed at bombing school" (L.G. 19/4/1916).     France.  24/1/1917 - Gen. List.    T/Lt. (T/Maj). A.S. Campbell O.B.E. 7/9/1918.  (L.G. 25/3/1919)

London County Council Record of Service.   Maj. Archibald Sydney Campbell O.B.E.  MID- 3rd Army, 17th Corps, and Eastern Command Bombing School.  Chief Engineers Department.

France. 2 years 1 month. 

The photograph is by Horgan Bros. Friar Street, Youghal, Cork Ireland.  The 3rd (Reserve) moved there in November 1917.

Great photo, it’s quite unusual to see images of Reserve Garrison battalions.  There’re a couple of A&SH officers on the left as we look.

Lt Col Willes (rather than Milles) was from a fairly well known RWF family although I don’t know if he was the first.  Either his son or grandson served in the regiment during and/or after WW2.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Great photo, it’s quite unusual to see images of Reserve Garrison battalions.  There’re a couple of A&SH officers on the left as we look.

Lt Col Willes (rather than Milles) was from a fairly well known RWF family although I don’t know if he was the first.  Either his son or grandson served in the regiment during and/or after WW2.

Thanks for spotting the typo.  

2 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks for spotting the typo.  

Thank you for your seemingly endless supply of superb WW1 era military images!  You have helped create an amazing historical resource here.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you for your seemingly endless supply of superb WW1 era military images!  You have helped create an amazing historical resource here.

I post and learn. I have many more to post, and much to learn. 

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I post and learn. I have many more to post, and much to learn. 

I have to agree with froggy, you do turn up so many great photos and share them here.

image.jpeg.d2a7942e4d80b84661de7f514876e41c.jpeg

Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Somerset Light Infantry, Lancashire Fusiliers, Welsh Regiment, Royal Sussex Regiment, South Lancashire Regiment. 

"Mrs. J.W. Pell, 36 Dalmore Rd. Dulwich"

A recently acquired copy. The unexploded bomb that would fit in every childhood cartoon, the Station Master (?) with his pocket watch and two small boys climbing on the gate pillars to get a better view.

Southendbomb2small.jpg.b15fa7cf4e1e944c016eac82e21c3fb6.jpg

• Admin
19 minutes ago, RJH said:

Hi - thanks!

His name was George Edward (from Knockando, Moray) - I'll try the ICRC. (Liège, not Lille)

Hello all,

I believe that 'George Edward' needs his own thread, he will get very lost and mixed up in with the other postcards, so I will move all your posts to 'Soldiers and their units'.

Can you hold on with your replies for a few minutes please.

Regards,

Bob.

Edit You will find  George Edward (from Knockando, Moray) here.

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

image.jpeg.d2a7942e4d80b84661de7f514876e41c.jpeg

Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Somerset Light Infantry, Lancashire Fusiliers, Welsh Regiment, Royal Sussex Regiment, South Lancashire Regiment. 

"Mrs. J.W. Pell, 36 Dalmore Rd. Dulwich"

The man in the centre row, third from the viewers left, looks to be Rifle Brigade.        Pete.

On 12/09/2024 at 23:54, CorporalPunishment said:

The man in the centre row, third from the viewers left, looks to be Rifle Brigade.        Pete.

Thanks Pete. 

On 11/09/2024 at 19:59, GWF1967 said:

Looks like there are five officers present, two from Scottish Regiments including the one on the colonel's right - the traditional spot for the adjutant.

OfficersandMusketryDetailsCCompany3rdReserveGarrisonBnRWFsourcedGWFownerGWF1967Officercrop.jpg.bd85897b782f018fb0846f4cf68ccdc0.jpg

All image rights, if any, remain with the current owner.

Ever the optimist I though how hard could that be - either the Monthly Army List entry for the 3rd (Reserve Garrison) Battalion would show them or it wouldn't - they'd be listed instead under their parent Regimental Battalion. :)

On 11/09/2024 at 19:59, GWF1967 said:

Started with the December 1917 British Army Monthly List.
In Command was Captain C.E. Willes, Reserve of Officers, (Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel in Army).
But there is no-one called Campbell of any rank recorded under the Battalion entry.
Adjutant was shown as Captain M.Murphy, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, in position since the 14th September 1916.
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103984232

The June 1918 British Army Monthly List has:-
In Command was Major C.E. Willes, Reserve of Officers, (Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel in Army).
There is a 2nd Lt. V.R.W. Campbell show with seniority from the 28th December 1917 - but difficult to see confusion arising from that.
Adjutant was shown blank - so at least raising the prospect the role might have been filled by an officer of a Scottish Regiment.
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103558010

The November 1918 British Army Monthly List has:-
In Command was Major C.E. Willes, Reserve of Officers, (Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel in Army).
But there is no-one called Campbell of any rank recorded under the Battalion entry.
Adjutant was shown as Captain G. Marsh, East Lancashire Regiment, effective 7th January 1918.
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/123100653

So I then went looking in the June 1918 Monthly List to see where Major A.S. Campbell was listed - and if indeed he was shown as a Major, as tracking down the date of promotion might help date the picture.

In the index for that month there are three potential candidates.https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103577318

The A.S. Campbell in column 1714g was in the R.A.M.C., so didn't check that out further.

There is than an A.S. Campbell with two entries - column 57b and column 2679o
57b has Captain A.S. Campbell as a deputy Assistant Director of Labour (graded as Deputy Assistant Quartermaster General), 9th February 1917.
2679o is part of the Special List which has him as a Captain while serving in that role, dated 27th January 1917.
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103547330
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103574282

Finally there is a A. St. C Campbell in column 1527a.
That shows him as a Captain with the 11th (Service) Battalion, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, seniority from the 30th November 1916.
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103562342

That Battalion was disbanded at the start of June 1918. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-louises-argyll-sutherland-highlanders/

There are four A.S. Campbell's in the index to the December 1918 British Army Monthly List - but the only addition is an officer serving with the Australian Contingent. There is also the R.A.M.C officer.
https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103457420

Major A.S. Campbell was an Assistant Labour Commandant with seniority from the 7th March 1918 https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103429748

Captain A .St. C. Campbell was listed on the establishment of the Regular Army Battalions of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders but with no indication of where he was actually serving. (Column 1517). https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103441892

So on the face of it a real mis-match between what the photograph is showing and what a source like the British Army Monthly List reveals. I suspect there isn't enough detail to be able to tell the Regiment of the two Scottish Officers.

Cheers,
Peter

9 hours ago, PRC said:

I suspect there isn't enough detail to be able to tell the Regiment of the two Scottish Officers.

I am confident from the shape of their badges and the appearance of the chequering of their glengarry bonnets that both Scottish officers are from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and had concluded that when GWF1967 first posted the image, so not influenced by your excellent analysis.  Incidentally Campbell is very much a historical regimental family name within the A&SH.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I am confident from the shape of their badges and the appearance of the chequering of their glengarry bonnets that both Scottish officers are from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders,

Thank you @FROGSMILE

Had another thought - being in County Cork in 1918 there must have been an element either of patrols against the IRA and\or interest by the IRA in the unit.
I wonder if @corisande may have come across the officers of this Battalion, particularly Major Campbell .

Cheers,
Peter

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers

I hope this is better as i have enlarged it, on some men you now see the cap badges  and the guy on the far left i think has GR as his cap badge.

The last photo is of the tent camp  POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley [ not in my collection ] from epay.

Postcard from my collection.

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers ww1.jpg

ww1 1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers.jpg

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers tents german pc.jpg

Edited by morrisc8