The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Postcards

trenchtrotter

10 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers

I hope this is better as i have enlarged it, on some men you now see the cap badges  and the guy on the far left i think has GR as his cap badge.

The last photo is of the tent camp [ not in my collection ] from epay.

Postcard from my collection.

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers ww1.jpg

ww1 1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers.jpg

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers tents german pc.jpg

The crown above the GV cypher as worn by the Royal Defence Corps (as well as other units)

40 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

the guy on the far left i think has GR as his cap badge.

Yes I agree.  For a long time the cap badge of a variety of garrison staff appointments and organisations, and used in various sizes for full dress and undress headdress, plus also collar badges, and even shoulder titles.  It was for a period allocated to the National Reserve and then for a short time the Royal Defence Corps.

Unfortunately I cannot make out in sufficient detail the other badges although I think quite a few with a circular appearance are probably for Hampshire.  There’s also one officer with a large cross patee type badge which I think is either an old Surrey VB badge or something associated with a Wiltshire VB.

The lower photo sold on eBay seems to show a prisoner of war camp.

Edited by FROGSMILE

54 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers

I hope this is better as i have enlarged it, on some men you now see the cap badges  and the guy on the far left i think has GR as his cap badge.

The last photo is of the tent camp  POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley [ not in my collection ] from epay.

Postcard from my collection.

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers ww1.jpg

ww1 1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers.jpg

1915 POW Camp Frith Hill Frimley POW Camp Guard Soldiers tents german pc.jpg

Several of them are wearing the cap badge of the Hampshire Regiment, the "Cat and Cabbage" can clearly be seen. The best example is the man behind the oddball wearing the boater.        Pete.

I don’t normally buy postcards, but a small group of three and part on an envelope found its way home with me on Sunday….couldn’t resist it. Two were standard field service postcards, received a letter, and stuck in hospital, but the third just made me smile. The house is still there, image courtesy Google earth….there are a number of Nathaniel thomases in the medal index cards…I’m sure it will provide some winter research once I renew ancestry.

Dave.

IMG_6871.jpeg

IMG_6872.png

IMG_6873.png