The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

new book on the Argonne !

ak16

Hello everyone,

Three years after my first book "Weathered Witness" I have published a second one, this time on the war in the Argonne. I have not dealt only with the offensives of 1915 but had a deeper look on these four years of war. On top of that, the book was written based on German sources only and thus is written completely from German point of view. More than 275 photos accompany the texts, of which more than 200 are German archive photos.

More than 30 small maps and sketches help explaining the movements in the difficult terrain of the Argonne. This is the first book which gives a complete military-historical overview of the battle in the Argonne. Also 5 thematical chapters were added, like the Argonnenbahn (small railway) or the former German cemeteries and memorials (more than 50 pages on this subject alone).

Despite the language barrier (the book was written in Dutch), I think this book is a must-have for anyone who has an interest in this forgotten part of the old Western Front. You can read more on http://www.argonne1418.be

Thanks.

regards, Wim Degrande

Good evening Wim,

It looks very interesting; the Argonne is a fascinating area with so much remaining after all this time. I am sure your book will assist me studying further (although the Dutch will stretch me !!!)

Hi Steve,

Nice to hear from you again ! Yes, I realize language is a barrier, but nevertheless the book offers a more rare approach, being written from German point of view. The archive photos are of course also interesting, as a source of information.

And books on the Argonne are rather rare, compared to what is being published on Ypres, Somme or Verdun for example.

In 1915 the Argonne was almost daily news by a matter of speaking, from 1916 the area became "quiet" and never saw a bloody battle again (apart from the deliberation in 1918); not meaning this battlefield was a "pic-nic area" so to speak...

I consider this vast natural area as one big commemoration landscape.

best regards,

Wim Degrande

(PS: someone posted me an email concerning this book today, but I had troubles with my emailbox. Can he or she post his email again please ? Thanks)