The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental Numbers

PhilipH

I put up a generic post regarding the significance of Regimental Numbers and was advised that I should be more specific! So here we go - can anyone help on any of the following:

4412 Rfn Edward Hatton 1 Rifle Brigade

4305 Rfn Francis Hatton 1 Rifle Brigade

19265 A/Cpl John Hatton 1 Northamptonshire

How were the Regt numbers arrived at? 4412 and 4305 I assume were pre war as both arrived in France on 23 August 19265 I assume was allocated during the war. But do the numbers actually mean anything or indicate anything? I know my own Army number was just that - a number but I assume it dates to my date of joining.

Anyway all thoughts and comments gratefully received.

thanks

Philip

I put up a generic post regarding the significance of Regimental Numbers and was advised that I should be more specific! So here we go - can anyone help on any of the following:

4412 Rfn Edward Hatton  1 Rifle Brigade

4305 Rfn Francis Hatton  1 Rifle Brigade

19265 A/Cpl John Hatton  1 Northamptonshire

How were the Regt numbers arrived at? 4412 and 4305 I assume were pre war as both arrived in France on 23 August  19265 I assume was allocated during the war. But do the numbers actually mean anything or indicate anything? I know my own Army number was just that - a number but I assume it dates to my date of joining.

Anyway all thoughts and comments gratefully received.

thanks

Philip

The Northamptonshire Regiment Number is a Kitchener Mans Number{1914 enlistment}Many of these Men would have ended up originally in Service Battalions of the Northamptonshire Regt;[5th,6th,7th]but many were used to re~inforce the Battered 1st & 2nd Battalions in 1914/15.

The RB Numbers would appear to be Regular Soldiers of Pre 1914 Enlistment

Numbers were "Arrived @" by continuation,hence the reason the RB Men are so close,enlisting within 90 odd numbers of each other,The NH service Battalion Numbers stated around 10000,upwards{Pre 10000 being Regular}

Philip,

Are your men related to the two Hattons that appear on the Northampton War Memorial? RSM Walter Hatton of the 1/4 Northamptonshires, and Pte Walter of 2/2 Londons.

Phillip,

With regard to the Northants number, I've come across several men with 18*** numbers who appear to have joined the regt (various battalions) in late spring/early summer. While 20*** men in Sept 1915.

Unfortunately don't have anything closer to your man's number.

The above are from different wartime newspaper articles, from info provided by family members, so may not be 100% correct.

John was formerly a member of the RAMC, with the number 36137. It appears that a most of the men with similar numbers to him, were also formerly RAMC men. Perhaps part of a large draft to the Northants in mid 1915?

Jim

Thanks for all the comments. In response:

Kate - no, no relation to the Northampton War Memorial men I'm afraid (or at least, not that I am aware of). The family were from Warwick so I assume that John serving with the Northants was the luck of the draw rather than anything else.

Jim - John landed in France on 29 Sep 1915 but I do not know when he was formally capbadged with the Northants. Your numbering therefore sounds right. One question - how do you know he joined the RAMC? Where does this info come from?

Thanks

Philip

Hi Phillip,

The RAMC information is from John's Soldiers Died entry. This is a database of the fallen from the Great War, somewhat similar to the CWGC-but with different details.

For example:

A/Cpl John Hatton, 19265, 1st Northants.

Born Handsworth, Warwicks

Enlisted Leamington, Warwicks

Died of Wounds 28/8/16

Formerly 36137, RAMC.

Also pulled the relevant info on the Edward Hatton

Rifleman Edward Charles Hatton, 4412, 1st Rifle Brigade

Born, Enlisted & Residing Warwick

Killed in Action 03/11/14

Did Francis survive?

All the best,

Jim

Jim

Thanks very much for this. Yet more pieces of the jigsaw into place.

Yes, Francis survived but I find it ironic that it is easier to trace the dead than the living. I have very little on him - we think he was a PoW but that is another thread!

Once again thanks for your help.

Philip