The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BROTHERS IN WAR

susan kitchen

Not a new book but i came across it quite by chance. Published about four years ago. So most of you have probably read it. In case there is someone out there who hasn't i just thought i would tell you what a great book this is ."Brothers in War" is the story of the Beechey brothers. It starts from their idyllic childhood in a country Rectory in Lincolnshire. There were eight boy's who all joined up. Some for the " adventure of a lifetime." others less eager. Through the authors words and the boy's letters you follow them through the war to different parts of the world. Their hardships and surprisingly, their optimism. Of course at the end you find out how many came back. I really enjoyed it.

Susan

It's interesting to read at the back that Michael Walsh had no intention of writing about the Beechey Family. He started off trying to write about the Souls family. But as you will read or have read he got side tracked. In case anyone doesn't know the Mrs Souls lost a few boy's to the War. After she started to get their pension the neighbours turned on her saying how she's raking it in. Sounds a bit twee but i'm really proud to be English even more so when people really rally round to help people. But this kind of story makes you realise that money can make some peoples character turn nasty. The villagers couldn't seem to see that to get that money she had to lose some of her son's, while they had most of theirs. Think we know what Mrs Souls would have wanted if she had, had the choice. Anyway things became so unpleasant the family had to move.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I must look out for the 'Brothers in War' as I have not heard of this one before, sounds to be a very moving story.

It is indeed really sad how people could turn Mrs Soul's monetary gain through the loss of her sons into a sort of choice which she had made--I am quite sure that she would have rather had her sons back home safely from the war than the few £'s which she would receive in their places. How twisted and heartless can people be? I suppose that it is some form of jealousy, resentment and small mindedness which makes people react in this way. Very, very sad!!

Robert

Hi Susan,

I must look out for the 'Brothers in War' as I have not heard of this one before, sounds to be a very moving story.

It is indeed really sad how people could turn Mrs Soul's monetary gain through the loss of her sons into a sort of choice which she had made--I am quite sure that she would have rather had her sons back home safely from the war than the few £'s which she would receive in their places. How twisted and heartless can people be? I suppose that it is some form of jealousy, resentment and small mindedness which makes people react in this way. Very, very sad!!

Robert

Think you can buy the book on line from play.com and from Waterstones. I came across the copy i read in the Library., because when i go to the Library i can't resist having a browse . Even when i don't need to.

Happy Reading

Susan

If any of you can make it to Caernarfon's Barnardo Charity Shop it was selling for £1.50 this afternoon!

Maricourt

Susan and Maricourt,

Thanks very much for those leads, but I have just bought one via Amazon, so I am looking forward to its arrival.

Regards, Robert

Susan

I would agree with your comments, a tragic account of the loss of eight sons. Bought it a couple of years ago.

Sue

• 3 years later...

Just read this book while on holiday. Couldn't put it down until I found out which brothers survived.

The letters from the sons to their mother in Lincoln show how the trivial things meant so much to them - a pair of socks or writing paper.

They were so keen to join up then by early 1918 all wishing the youngest brother would not have to serve .

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a good read, I certainly enjoyed it when it first came out

Andrew

My father's lifelong friend and best man is a grandson of Amy Beechey. My father remembers seeing Amy in widows clothes visiting her daughter and grandson in the Wragby Road Lincoln, presumably in the early 1930s. Talking to my father last night, I understand that there is to be some commemorative event in Lincoln this year, but he wasn't sure what.