The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kilt's

Khaki

Were all kilt's made in Scotland during the Great War?

were there shortages and how was it handled, (were all recruits issued a kilt)

Was the quality maintained?

what was the impact on industry?

was it possible to donate kilt's to the military?

Sorry about all the questions but I was curious and know nothing about wartime kilt's

khaki

I cannot answer, but it might be as well to spell kilts without the unnecessary grocers' apostrophe because someone using "Search" will not find the reference using the correct spelling.

Hello khaki

In peacetime, only the Highland regiments (and pipers of the Scots and Irish Guards and the Lowland and Irish regiments) wore the kilt. They also included certain Territorial battalions of English regiments such as the London Scottish and the Liverpool Scottish, where the membership had a strong Scottish flavour. Every recruit in one of these units would have been issued with a kilt.

I doubt that many kilts were donated to the Army. Each regiment had its special pattern and ordinary civilian kilts would not generally match these although there were some similarities e.g. the Gordons and the Camerons.

Manufacture should not have been much of a problem: some expansion of industry would have been necessary but the number of different patterns was not that great so scaling-up would have been all that was required. Possibly some material was provided to the regiments to be made-up within the battalions by the Sergeant Tailor and his team.

Ron

Were all kilt's made in Scotland during the Great War?

were there shortages and how was it handled, (were all recruits issued a kilt)

Was the quality maintained?

what was the impact on industry?

was it possible to donate kilt's to the military?

Sorry about all the questions but I was curious and know nothing about wartime kilt's

khaki

Hi Khaki,

The 10th Bn The Black Watch wore khaki kilts but the fashion never took on. When the wearing of spats, brogues and diced hose were replaced for puttees and hose, requests were advertised in the local papers for volunteers to knit hose. At the same time the Glengary was replaced by a blue Balmoral requests were sent for red toories to replace the blue ones already fitted

Tom

Canadian Camerons were issued with khaki kilts (thank you, Grumpy) too. Didn't catch on either. Antony

I cannot answer, but it might be as well to spell kilts without the unnecessary grocers' apostrophe because someone using "Search" will not find the reference using the correct spelling.

Hear hear!

Thank you for the interesting regimental and social history information. I am sure Scotland and other parts of the UK provided much more than soldiers/sailors/airmen etc, in manufacturing and general war industries, it just seems to me that apart from the coal industry and ship building, other area's do not receive the recognition that they deserve.

khaki

Khaki,

There is a book that describes Scotland's contribution to the WW1 War effort,men, material,etc and the social changes that happened to the Country as a result of the war.

The Flowers of the Forest-Trevor Royle.

If you type the above, in the Forum Search Engine, you should find a previous thread reviewing the book.

George