The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anyone know what C. A. H. T. C. is ?

redbarchetta

There's a pair to a Driver S Markus, C A H T C in an auction I'm going to tomorrow, but I cannot figure out this acronym !!

Canadian Army Horse Transport Corps ?? Hospital Transport ??

Any ideas ?

Also, if you want them, and you are quick, let me know and I'll buy them for you !! I'll log in again tomorrow morning & will set off to the sale at lunchtime...

All the best

Jim

I think Cape Auxilliary Horse Transport Corps, a unit of the South African Army.

The name Markus could be a Boer name, fits.

Cheers,

Michael

Is the Victory medal bi-lingual? If so, this should confirm that it is South African. (There should also be no service number present)

Dave.

I agree with Cape Auxiliary Horse Tranport Corps. C.A.H.T.C. On the Victory Medal within the wreath South African Medals the inscription was in English and Afrikaans.

John

back home john? or in France?

Thanks, chaps. As predicted it was a South African victory medal with the war medal. Ended up buying it, as I hadn't bought anything else !! £37, including premium. Does that sound OK ? Not really a medal man, but I had thought of collecting all the different victory medals, until I discovered how much some of the obscure ones are !! Well, this is one off the list, anyway !!!