The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte J Dobbie

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi,

Does anyone know about Pte J Dobbie Scottish Rifles DOW 1/1/18. I have SDGW and CWGC details but just wondered if anyone had any more info on him.

I ask because i have a QSA to 2807 Pte J Dobbie Scottish Rifles. As the above was 40 years old when he died i am wondering if this is the same man? He would have been early 20's during the Boer War and his Regiment is the same. Could he have done his Boer war service and re-enlisted in WW1?

Is there any way i could find out?

Thanks

Anthony

You would have to check his service records at the NA if they still exist, or trace him through the muster records from his service in the Boer War to see when/if he left the regiment. At least then you'd know his first name, which may help if he rejoined in another regiment.

Checked the MICs online and no J.Dobbie in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) comes up with either 2807 or 31577 as a regimental number, but there are gaps in what's available online as the Ds are only 70% complete.

Always possible that he may be your man as I've come across men upto 63 years old serving in WW1.

I assume that you're either the seller of this medal on Ebay, or a prospective bidder. Good luck either way, it looks a nice medal.

Regards,

Matthew

I am actually the seller. I was going to get it researched but thought i would leave it to someone else!!

Thanks for the reply.

Anthony