The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bullecourt 1917 'Breaching the Hindenburg Line'

greatbeanbags

You won't find Bullecourt on any of the Somme 'Tourist' battlefield destinations or route maps but in April & May 1917 it was the scene of heavy, fierce & desperate fighting between Australian, British & German troops.

Paul Kendall's book 'Bullecourt 1917 - Breaching theHindenburg Line' details the background & story of 3 important battles that led to the loss of over 17,000 Australian & British soldiers alone, in and around a small French village raised & levelled to the ground by heavy shelling, infantry combat & tank actions! It is also a book that pays tribute in a most remarkable & fascinating way to the brave men who lost their lives & it is complimented by many images & actual stories recounted by survivors in their own words or through those of their living relatives today. It is a fitting tribute to courage & sacrifice never to be forgotten.

This book is a 'must' for anyone wanting to know more the Battles for Bullecourt during 1917. Hopefully it will encourage readers to visit & explore Bullecourtfor themselves, as there is the impressive 'Digger Memorial' & others to see. There is even a wonderful Museum that is full of WW1 artefacts & memorabilia if you are lucky enough to find it open.

In my opinion 'Bullecourt 1917 - Breaching the Hindenburg Line' is great value for money, being sold through Amazon www.amazon.co.uk for only £17.00!

post-51610-059936400 1286443243.jpg

You won't find Bullecourt on any of the Somme 'Tourist' battlefield destinations or route maps but in April & May 1917 it was the scene of heavy, fierce & desperate fighting between Australian, British & German troops.

Thankfully there are battlefield tours that include Bullecourt, including tours that originate from UK as well as those based in Arras and surrounds.

Judy

'Bullecourt 1917 - Breaching the Hindenburg Line I wonder Gladiator if you could please help. Can you tell me if there is an account of the 2/4th Yorkshire and Lancaster Regiment activity with 5th Army 62nd Div on or around the 17 May 1917 or indeed if it describes their activity leading up to that date, before I invest Thanks Colin

I pre-ordered it based on the great reviews the author got on his previous book "The Zeebrugge Raid 1918"

Also, "Blood Tub", if you can find a copy, is damn expensive !

Cheers

Wig

I just ordered this book at amazon. And I also find this book ,"August 1914: Surrender at St Quentin" by John Hutton, very intersting, has anyone read it?

'Bullecourt 1917 - Breaching the Hindenburg Line I wonder Gladiator if you could please help. Can you tell me if there is an account of the 2/4th Yorkshire and Lancaster Regiment activity with 5th Army 62nd Div on or around the 17 May 1917 or indeed if it describes their activity leading up to that date, before I invest Thanks Colin

The 62nd Divisions Assault on Bullecourt has a complete chapter in the book & there is mention of a Lieutenant Colonel F.Blacker commanding the 2/4th York & Lancaster Regiment but the action described is earlier than the date you mention ...the 3rd May. Why don't you email the book author & discuss your questions with him .....am sure he won't mind.....paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Hope you find the info you are hoping for.

Clive

Had a quick flick through this yesterday at Foyles...first impression not good. Did not like layout and also the book seems merely to be personal quotes and accounts with no linking narrative accounts. I only flicked through so may not be doing the book justice but the Blood Tub and the recent Panoramas of Arras may be better options in actually understanding the battlefield and battle.

N.B. have walked this area and it is exceptionally simple to gain an understanding of the battle lines, jump off positions and one can walk the whole area in a day but can also lose a few days there. The disused railway line is an easy reference point as is the water tower by the red patch!

Regards

TT

Had a quick flick through this yesterday at Foyles...first impression not good. Did not like layout and also the book seems merely to be personal quotes and accounts with no linking narrative accounts. I only flicked through so may not be doing the book justice but the Blood Tub and the recent Panoramas of Arras may be better options in actually understanding the battlefield and battle.

Totally agree here. I had a flick through at the bookshop at TNA last week and came to a similar conclusion.

dave

Many thanks for the feedback regarding my book 'Bullecourt 1917:Breaching the Hindenburg Line'. I was in a dilemma when writing the book whether to place the personal biographies/photos/tributes at the back of the book or to present it in the current published format. I decided that it would be more relevant if these men were positioned within the various chapters within the narrative as to when their unit fought at Bullecourt to make it more meaningful.

For example there is a chapter on the 2nd HAC's involvement on the night of the 3rd/4th May 1917. I thought it would be more meaningful to include the biographies / photos / tributes to these men within that chapter. It gives the reader a chance to read the narrative of the events that took place at that specific stage in the battle, then a chance to reflect on the faces, the lives of the men that paid the ultimate sacrifice at Bullecourt.

I can assure you that the personal accounts do link with the narrative of the story of Bullecourt. A person would need to read the book, instead of a flick through in order to appreciate this.

I do respect people's feedback be it positive or negative for me to consider when writing my future books.

kind regards

Paul Kendall

Just recieved the book...can't wait to bury my nose in it.

Regarding the comments made my 'trenchtrotter' and 'croonaert' about the inclusion of personal accounts in the text.

Personally I think it adds something, it gives an insight into what the Diggers and Tommies were subjected to, as opposed to just simply a volume on Bullecourt...

Also, it's a bit of a harsh call to judge a book when your opinion is simply based on just 'flicking through it'.

Cheers

Wig

And that is why I made reference to a flick through! and not a comprehensive review. I think Pauls comments are worth noting and next time I pass the book shop with more time I will endevour to study longer. However as a book buyer I do make some quick purchases on flick throughs only and am seldom wrong ( well for my tastes anyway). As always my comments are my observations and not those of the next person.

All the same well done Paul for bringing the accounts to life...always worthwhile. I like a book with narrative and accounts. Some authors do it so well.

Regards

TT

As someone who provided details of a soldier who fell at Bullecourt and is mentioned in Paul’s book I have been looking forward to its release for quite a while now. A couple of years have now passed and I wish Paul well with its success and know that he also has a personal links to those two rotten battles in April and May 1917.

I can't wait to purchase a copy.

Scott

Also, it's a bit of a harsh call to judge a book when your opinion is simply based on just 'flicking through it'.

I don't think that either of us actually 'judged' the book at all ...all that was expressed was first opinions which, quite often, is all that can be used when deciding whether or not to make a purchase. Not exactly being the world's biggest fan of personal narratives, they are what leapt out to me in the main and , therefore, made me return the book to the shelf quicker than I might have done with another book. I know that many people like these narratives - and therefore they can only be a bonus to the book -, but personally (and, after all, it was only a personal opinion being expressed), I prefer dry facts and detail as I tend to use books such as these for reference rather than for 'reading' .

Again, just my own little quirks and, as TT has stated, they're not necessarily the same as those of the next person.

Dave

Following on from my response yesterday I do feel that I need to make a more substantial answer to the comments made yesterday on the Great War Forum regarding my book Bullecourt 1917: Breaching the Hindenburg Line.

I do respect all feedback and all opinions about my book both positive and negative. Everybody has different personal tastes and I appreciate that you cannot please everyone. Dave and Trench Trotter I respect your opinion and recognise that my book is not to your taste and you are exercising your own personal choice not to purchase the book which is completely fine.

However, some of comments were made on this thread which, although unintentional, could be perceived to undermine my book and several years of research so I must speak up for my book. These comments were made within the book review section of the forum and I must highlight what the book is all about so that anyone with an interest in reading about Bullecourt and wants to buy a book on the subject gets a feel for the content in order to counter balance the comments already made.

My prime motivation for writing this book on Bullecourt was driven by my personal connection to the battle. My great grandfather Private William Kendall was killed at Bullecourt on 13th May 1917 while serving with the 22nd Manchester Regiment.

There have been some good books written on the subject of Bullecourt, but my book differs from other books written on the subject on many levels.

1.) The book contains a narrative of the Bullecourt campaign during April to May 1917 interwoven with the photos and personal testimonies of the men that were there. The personal testimonies are the soul of the book. Many of these testimonies I have sourced from the descendants. I made strenuous efforts to establish contact with the families of Bullecourt soldiers in Australia and the UK and I succeeded in contacting 86 families who generously supplied me with photos, letters and diaries. These families are listed in the acknowledgements.

2.) As the reader progresses through the book they read a chapter about a certain stage of the battle and then at the end of that chapter I feature the photos and biographies of the soldiers who fought and in many instances lost their lives during that stage of the battle. For example at the end of Chapter 10 there are four features on the Tank Men who fought on 11th April 1917. Chapter 14 is an entire chapter devoted to the Australians who fought on 11th April. Chapter 29 relates to The Post Office Rifles involvement in the battle to capture Bullecourt and contains the biographies of three Post Office Rifles. These biographies form a tribute to their courage and sacrifice and by featuring them at the stage within the narrative, when their unit was involved in the battle makes the book more poignant. It is an opportunity to look in their faces and reflect upon their lives, where they came from, what they had to endure before Bullecourt and to reflect upon their sacrifice. Many of these men had fought at Gallipoli and on the Somme before they reached Bullecourt.

3.) The book includes a chapter on the effort to transport the wounded from the battlefield at Bullecourt.

4.) I have included two chapters on the experiences of Australian and British Prisoners of War after their capture at Bullecourt.

5.) I have included a small chapter on the experience of Corporal Reginald Billingham who held onto a shell hole within the ruins of Bullecourt for four days and three nights surrounded by German forces. It was an effort to find his personal testimony of his experience at Bullecourt and a greater effort to contact his family.

6.) The book also features many photos from my own personal collection which you will not find in any other book relating to Bullecourt including various aerial photos of the ruins of Bullecourt and the British Tanks which were captured by German forces on 11th April. They are unique images.

7.) The book also includes unique images of the German fortification known as the Crucifix in Bullecourt.

8.) I have visited Bullecourt many times during the past decade and the book includes photos of the battlefield as it looks today.

9.) My friend Jean Letaille and the people of Bullecourt appreciate the sacrifices made by soldiers from Australia and the UK and I have devoted a chapter to how the village remembers the battle, by focusing upon the memorials that they have unveiled over the decades. There is also material from Jeans magnificent museum at Bullecourt.

10.) I have also devoted a chapter on where the Bullecourt fallen are buried or if they were listed as missing, where they are commemorated. This chapter includes a photo of the memorial or cemetery with some information about the origins of the cemetery and some personal stories relating to those who rest within these cemeteries.

In addition you will not find the following lists in any other book on Bullecourt which feature in the appendices at the back of the book:

List of British Diggers who died at Bullecourt April May 1917.

List of AIF Soldiers killed on 11th April 1917 who have no known grave and are commemorated on the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux.

List of AIF soldiers killed on 3rd May 1917 who have no known grave and are commemorated on the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux.

British soldiers killed on 11th April 1917 who have no known graves and are commemorate d on the Arras Memorial.

British soldiers killed on 3rd to 21st May 1917 who have no known graves and are commemorate d on the Arras Memorial.

The majority of feedback that I received from the UK, Australia and the people of Bullecourt has been very positive. The families that have kindly contributed to this work have also conveyed their pleasure at the finished product. It has made all the effort in producing this book worthwhile and gives me encouragement to continue the projects that I am currently working on.

Kind regards

Paul Kendall

Paul, it sounds as though you have carried out some very extensive research as well as putting considerable effort into this book.

Personally I like narrative style books and will very probably "give the book a go"

Perhaps the old adage of never judging a book by the cover should apply.

Good luck with the book.

Stuart

Congratulations Paul, on a very reasoned explanation of what the book is about and the way in which the info/narrative is presented.

Everyone to their own, of course but I've just spent a week at Kew taking over 2000 images of 'official' war diary stuff on the 38th (Welsh) Division at Passchendaele. I now plan - as you did - to search out personal accounts and to weave these into what I hope will be a book that a publisher will take. And some people will enjoy.

Good luck with sales!

Bernard

Bernard,

Many thanks for your support. I was in your position a few years ago. I spent six years researching my book 'Zeebrugge Raid 1918: The Finest Feat of Arms' which included visiting the archives such as the National Archives and tracing relatives. I did not have a publisher at the time, but after much perserverance I found one.

Keep on going with the research and I look forward to seeing your work published in the near future on the 38th Welsh Division at Passchendaele.

Kind regards

Paul

The 62nd Divisions Assault on Bullecourt has a complete chapter in the book & there is mention of a Lieutenant Colonel F.Blacker commanding the 2/4th York & Lancaster Regiment but the action described is earlier than the date you mention ...the 3rd May. Why don't you email the book author & discuss your questions with him .....am sure he won't mind.....paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Hope you find the info you are hoping for.

Clive

Gladiator thats very useful I am going to e mail the author with your link Many Thanks Colin

Paul,

Nothing I said undermined your book and the research that you have done. I too have great connections to Bullecourt, not through a relative who served but merely by visiting the battlefield over the years and getting to know the area and also having had the pleasure of visiting the museum. In addition a friends relation serving with the 62nd was captured at Bullecourt and I have walked that area.

My review was based on my first impression and quantified accordingly.

I am sorry but I stand by my comments (including giving it a longer study) but I dont like the layout and first impressions do count for some.

I feel slightly vilified for reviewing a book. If that is how reviews should be seen perhaps we should not have a review section.

I am sure your book contains a wealth of information, witness accounts and will be a welcome addition to many book shelves and I wish you good luck.

Perhaps I should never offer a review again!

TT

PS any book covering non Somme and Ypres is worth noting and credit to those who are prepared to research.

Dear Scott

Many thanks for kindly donating material to my project and your continued support. Together we have paid some kind of tribute to our relatives who fought at Bullecourt during 1917.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am yet to see a copy of your Bullecourt book but am looking forward to getting a copy. I am sure it will be a good read and will do the men who fought at Bullecourt justice. Just out of interest, have does the book have any accounts from men of 22 Brigade, RFA who were providing artillery support? I only ask as I am working on a report for someone regarding this unit and thought it might be nice to let him know.

Congratulations on the publication – I know all too well the work involved in something like this.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks for your post. I am a big fan of the books that you produce with Peter Barton and the IWM. They are well researched and excellently produced in a way to show readers the western front how it looked then and how it looks now. It is always hard to comprehend the peaceful countryside in France and Belgium now with the terrible battlefield landscape nearly a century ago. I am also pleased that you have highlighted Bullecourt in your latest book relating to the Arras campaign.

I am afraid my book does not include any accounts from men of 22 Brigade, RFA. My friend Yves Fohlen is archivist at Jean Letaille's Bullecourt Musuem. The Bullecourt story is a developing story with a lot more to learn about the terrible events that took place there during World War One. I have placed an appeal in the front of my book for further information from anyone related to a Bullecourt soldier to contact me so that I can pass on to the Bullecourt Museum for their archives. If anyone gets in touch with information or personal accounts relating to the 22 Brigade, RFA I will get in touch. I have your contact details from your website.

Once again, thank you for your support and I hope that the book will be of interest.

Kind regards

Paul

Oh well – with regard to my 22 Bde RFA question, it was worth a punt. I was working on this last night and noted that they were in the Bullecourt sector from March – August 1917 – what a stretch that must have been!

Also, many thanks for your kind words regarding the panorama books. Arras was by far my favourite of the three to work on and I find myself drawn back there again and again. There is just something about the battle that I cannot seem to shake off...

I'll let you know when I get your book and look forward to reading it.

Tks

JB

Paul, when you publish a book sadly you have to recognise that not everyone will appreciate the work that has gone into it, and not everyone will be complimentary about what you do. It goes with the territory I'm afraid.

I haven't had a chance to see you book yet, but personally as the author of a book on Arras - a forgotten battlefield - I welcome any publication that may draw some attention to the area, and if Jean Letaille and Yves Fohlen are involved somewhere along the line even better.