The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bullecourt 1917 'Breaching the Hindenburg Line'

greatbeanbags

Jeremy

The 22 Bde RFA stint on the Bullecourt sector from March to August 1917 was indeed a long stretch. My book only focuses upon Bullecourt during April - May 1917. There is a lot of research that needs to be undertaken for throughout the summer of 1917 many of the units that fought during April and May 1917 also held the line through the summer months of 1917 and were involved in trench raids. What happened at Bullecourt during 1918 also needs to be investigated. The campaigns throughout WW1 in the Arras sector is a fascinating topic.

I hope that you enjoy the book.

Best wishes

Paul

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your post. It is a sad reality for me to recognise as an author that not everyone will appreciate the work and effort involved when researching and writing a book. I must also recognise that not all comments will be complimentary. It is something that I will have to learn to take on the chin.

Yes, Jean Letaille and Yves Fohlen have been supportive with my Bullecourt project. I regard both men has legends who have a passionate committement to ensure that the lives of Australian and British soldiers who fought and paid the ultimate sacrifice at Bullecourt are never fogotten. I am honoured and feel it a great privilege to call them my friends.

I have also enjoyed reading your books and seeing your involvement in TV programmes that have appeared the past few years. I have sent you a personal email. I hope that you recieved it.

Kind regards

Paul Kendall

I suppose buying books is like getting socks as pressies at Xmas. I tend to like the plain, one colour jobs while others prefer check, plaid or Daffy Duck motif types. Each to his own. ;)

Bernard

I think the difficulty is as soon as you put your head over the parapet and put pen to paper its the book thats critiqued, you are just the passenger along for the ride, unfortunately the several years of slog, research, marital strife and expense mean nothing to the readers. The reader wants value for their 16 quid. I would guess there are members here who wear out some considerable amount of pencil lead on margin notes so at least take comfort no one had criticised your research.

Military history books can go one of 2 ways, out of print and selling for vast sums or the 99p bargain bin in a cheapo bookshop.

Mick

I once made the mistake of saying I didn't find Before Endeavours Fade useful compared to some more recent guides, the stunned silence was only broken by the sound of dentures clicking.

The 62nd Divisions Assault on Bullecourt has a complete chapter in the book & there is mention of a Lieutenant Colonel F.Blacker commanding the 2/4th York & Lancaster Regiment but the action described is earlier than the date you mention ...the 3rd May. Why don't you email the book author & discuss your questions with him .....am sure he won't mind.....paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Hope you find the info you are hoping for.

Clive

G Just to report on the Forum if I haven't already done so I e mailed Paul Kendall as you suggested and received a prompt helpful and courteous reply. Thanks again Colin