The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Bank of Canada - In Remembrance

chris.wight

No, this is not an advertisement for a Bank! :D

I was doing a google search for information on the 5th CMR, and came across this tribute on their website. I doubt many people are aware of its existence which is a shame because they have put a fair bit of effort into remembering their employess who fought during both wars.

In the first world war, 1,495 staff members enlisted for active service, of which 186 were killed in action or died in hospital and five were missing in action. One, who survived, was a distinguished Canadian poet by the name of Francis Sherman.

This section of their website has a detailed nominal roll of employees with rank, unit, and what happened to them during the war. A roll of honour gives details of the bank branch worked at, as well as details of where the individual served, and where they were killed.

This is the link to their tribute, link

I'm not a fan of big banks, but I have to commend the Royal Bank for making the effort to remember these brave men.

Great find, Chris

marc

My late Grandfather was with the Union Bank of Canada when he enlisted. There was some patriotic pamphlets from the bank that we found in his effects when he died. Many of the men in the 196th Western Universities Battalion were also young bankers.