The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Honour The Officers

bushfighter

http://www.tokenpublishing.com/shop.asp?pid=7678

A massive book of 828 pages - it needs careful handling to maintain the binding.

It is expensive at £95, but it is the only book covering all MC awards (apart from those awarded to Warrant Officers - a sad ommission)that I could locate.

If you are interested in citations then you may still need to search the London Gazette as only the date of the first announcement is given.

If you want, as I do, details of awards in a certain theatre then you have to be know the units in that theatre as many entries in the book just say "DSER" (For Distinguished Service) or "NYHL" (New Year's Honours List) or "KBHL" (King's Birthday Honours List). You then need to perform follow up searches on individuals using Medal Index Cards or other documents to ascertain the theatre.

But this has been a serious piece of research by the compiler, Michael Maton,and I recommend it for entry on your Christmas present Wish List!

Harry

Harry

Yes its an excellent book - well worth the investment.

• 3 weeks later...

To those members who have a copy of Honour The Officers I have discovered that a page of names is missing (WALLACE Eric Wilfred to WALLINGTON Michael) between pages 758 and 759.

Token Publishing will supply a copy of the missing page on request.

Harry

• 1 year later...

Is there any strong opinion on way or the other as to the value of this book? £95 + postage does seem an awful lot to me - but then if it is worth it....

Simon

Simon

Greetings

Well I haven't found another resource that covers all these details.

Until I do I recommend this book - dependant of course on your depth of rearch.

It is not perfect as already stated (it could have included references to citations that appear after the initial announcement of award) but I have got used to using it as one of a collection of reference works.

Basically if your man or woman is not in here then he or she was most unlikely to have received one of the awards listed.

Harry

Thanks for your input Harry - will have a mull!!

Simon